Thursday, February 15, 2007

Stitching Blogger’s Question of the Week

The Blonde Librarian asks a question about stitching habits every week. This is a good chance to think about how and why we do our stitching. This week's question is:
Do you like to buy "chartpacks" that include charms, buttons, and/or beads or do you prefer to gather all materials yourself?
When I started stitching (needlepoint), I bought kits which included the canvas and Persian Yarn. There never were any additional materials like buttons or ribbons that you would add after the fact. Many older needlepoint kits just assumed you would be making a pillow, rarely just a picture.

When I started cross stitch, I also bought kits, but quickly learned that I hate Aida cloth. I end up replacing the Aida cloth in every kit with linen. Then I learned that some of the threads in the smaller (and cheaper) kits was not very good quality. So I switched from kits to charts. When DMC threads went on sale at Michael's, I bought one (or two or three) of every color. I even started a database to keep track of the colors I had. Then I started buying supplies on Ebay. That led to a stash of Mill Hill Beads, Kreinik threads, and silk threads. I also fell under the spell of Silkweaver hand dyed linen. I now have most of the supplies for any chart that I would want to make, except for the charms or buttons.

If it is a Mirabilia chart using just Mill Hill Beads, I would rather not have the supplies included. But if it is a chart using unusual buttons, I don't mind buying a chart and the kit of fancy buttons and ribbons and charms. I bought a chart of The Cricket Collection's Three Gables and had a terrible time trying to find the individual buttons it required. If it is a small project I would rather have charms included to make it more individual than just thread on cloth. But I would hesitate to buy a chart that specified charms unless they were included.

I still do needlepoint (see Pineapple Fish). Although most needlepoint is sold without threads and without extras (or even a stitching chart), I did decide to add beads for the fish eyes rather than just use stitching. I had a lot of fun picking out some fancy beads at Bead Jungle yesterday. Here I was glad to not have something already picked out, but got to choose my own.

No comments: