Thursday, February 22, 2007

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

I know how hard it can get thinking up questions every week, so before I joined SBQ I sent in a few sample questions. I didn't know one would get used so quickly.
What is the smallest count fabric you have ever used? Did you stitch
over one? Conversely, what is the largest count fabric you have ever used?
First let me apologize to all the Aida stitchers out there. I am so used to linen and evenweaves that that is the first fabric I thought of. Though I have seen some mean designers that use quarter cross stitches on Aida. If they are going to do that they should just stick to evenweaves.

Almost everything I have stitched is 28 or 32 count over two. There might have been a few square inches of over one for face or hands, but not much. I don't like the loose look of smaller counts, though I do have some 7 Klostern and some waste canvas that I might use some day. I do have a few inches of 40 count that I couldn't resist buying from a bargain bin, but I haven't stitched on it yet and I doubt I will do over one when I do stitch with it. I'll probably use it for Christmas ornaments.

I have also stitched on 14 count (over one) beige plastic canvas (Karen Avery's Christmas ornaments) long before there were Q Snaps. I have never liked the embroidery hoops that we had to use before Q Snaps were invented. Plastic canvas was great for stitching while traveling on airplanes, because the stitches were so well supported. I also have some perforated paper in gold and silver, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks a bit fragile.

I also stitch on high count needlepoint. My favorite gauge is 18 count, especially the designs by Melissa Shirley. My mother-in-law makes endless bargello pillows in 10 count with leftover Persian wool from her many years of stitching. She always teases me that I'll lose my sight working on such tiny designs.

2 comments:

Luciluna said...

Like you, I really enjoy 18 count canvas. I'm sending the website with the smallest project I ever worked on.

Luciluna said...

Please check my blog for the link to the beautiful dollhouse my dad made from plans. There are pictures of my tiniest needlework projects!