Sunday, March 4, 2007

Project Spectrum: Winter 2

Well, I have finished this much of Winter for Project Spectrum; about a third of the lettering and about a third of the motifs. I will say that the motifs go a lot faster than the lettering. Or maybe it just seems that way since the motifs are taking just few stitches. I am going to rotate away from this project for a while. All this endless white thread is boring, though it is good to see so much progress on this project. I'm sure I can finish it by the end of the month.

Besides the fraying silk thread, another problem with this project are the edges of the fabric. I have been stitching mostly on linen lately. Because the threads in linen fabric are uneven, I think they ravel less than evenweave. This evenweave is raveling like crazy. I should have secured the edges before I started working on it, but I don't think it will be too difficult to mount later. There is still an inch and a half of fabric before the stitching starts at the top. The edges and bottom have a lot more room. So as long as the top doesn't ravel any more, I should be fine. Because the fabric is so dark, it is impossible to work on without full daylight. It's easier to stitch in front of a window and stitch counting holes than my normal stitch of counting threads. I'll have to keep that in mind for a much larger project I want to start this year that is also on navy evenweave. At least that project is quite colorful, so I won't be quite as bored with it (I hope).

Yesterday was the first day since I started this blog that I didn't stitch even one stitch. We have some friends from Las Vegas visiting Maui and wanted to take them around the island, so we all left the house at 6 am and started on the road to Hana. There are dozens of one lane bridges between Haiku and Hana, but the scenery is spectacular -- tropical jungles, cliffs, and waterfalls. They loved it. We had hoped to take them completely around Haleakula in our four wheel drive Jeep, but the road past the Seven Pools has been closed since October 15, 2006, when Hawaii had a major earthquake on the Big Island. Hana is the closest part of Maui to the Big Island and there were a lot of rock falls along the road in southern Maui. That spot is so isolated that it could be years before the road opens again. So we just drove back through Paia, stopping at Mama's Fish House for a drink and a look at all the tikis and dinner at Hali'imaile General Store, where Beverly Gannon's chefs put on their normal, spectacular efforts once again. The food is delicious!

No comments: