Friday, April 6, 2007

Low Tech and High Tech

Making bread from scratch and baking it in a wood fired oven, quilting by hand, gardening, and doing needlecraft are some of the most low technology activities that people take pleasure in. Yes, we may buy patterns and threads and linen from a website. We may even collect free online patterns and save them to a hard disk. But the actual stitching is between you, the needle, the thread, and the fabric. Which is why I find it strange that I really enjoy listening to cutting edge technology podcasts like Buzz Out Loud and This Week in Technology (affectionately known as TWiT) while stitching. I spent a dozen years in the Silicon Valley salt mines and even after I retired I was surrounded by highly intelligent, completely wired geeks. Since we moved to Nevada, although I am sure that there are tech geeks here (they do show up on Twittermap), I don't know any of them personally. So I get my technology fix remotely and try out the newest of the new Web 2.0 programs that they recommend. How many of us also now have friends all over the globe that we have never met in person?

I've started my first April/May cross stitch for Project Spectrum. The colors for April and May are green, yellow, and pink and all of them will be represented in the final picture. The pattern is Lily of Valley Flower Fairy, very appropriate for stitching that will probably be finished in May. Although many of the colors are similarly pale, I am starting out easy with the darkest colors first. I have to say I love stitching this pattern. First I changed out the boring ecru Aida for a pale pink/lavender hand dyed Solo fabric from Silkweaver. I really like stitching on this 32 count fabric. It is thick enough to firmly stay in the Q-snap frame. Two threads over two completely cover each stitched square. And best of all, although stitching the small motifs in Random Thoughts of Winter can give you a sense of accomplishment, I really like this kind of thread painting. I know the finished product will look like a water color. The only drawback is that is inappropriate for stitching on an airplane. This is way too much counting and too many color changes to be simple enough to stitch in a cramped plane seat. I can probably finish up the Fall Ewe on the next couple of plane flights.

1 comment:

Chiasmata said...

I stitched two Flower Fairy designs earlier this year, and they really are beautiful to watch emerge on your fabric. Hand-dyed fabby makes them dance even more. I had charts though, so I didn't have the colour sorting problem.