Friday, May 11, 2007

A Passion for Kitting

Tomorrow we leave for Chicago, San Francisco, I make a brief return to Nevada, then San Francisco again, Maui and back to Nevada before our next foray back East. With all this travel in mind I wanted to make sure I had a Christmas ornament kitted up for the the May SAL. Especially since I will be at a convention and speaking on panels on May 26 - 27. I am going to have to stitch this one ahead of time. In March and April I did ornaments with trees, so I decided I now have a pattern. This year the ornaments will be trees. And I had this nice little tree that I bought from Kimberly's stash.

To get started: 28 count Country French Latte Linen. Mmm, I don't have any of that, but I have tons of light beige fabric. Oh, here's a thought! Silkweaver's Reflections (sparkly) Precious Metals. I have a 9" x 13" piece. Mmmm. The design is only 2.75" x 4.5". Well, I could get two ornaments from that piece. What do I have?

Well, I have this one. It's not a tree, but it does have a branch. That's going to have be enough. Oh, it calls for 32 count Prairie Grain Linen. Mmmm. Well it's small enough (Stitch Count 55 x 55) it will still look good as an ornament even with a little larger count.

Back to Lizzie*Kate's Winter ABCs. I have all the Weeks Dye Works threads, but where is the fun in that? I pull out some Kreinik gold for the star and some Rainbow Gallery Nordic Gold in white for the WDW Whitewash. It's supposed to have a mitten button, but I don't like mittens. Heck, I never have to wear gloves or mittens. I don't have anything in my stash that would work. I'll get back to that.

Now to kit Bent Creek's Little Christmas, all DMC including 115-variegated. But when I check my colors I notice that they indicate 869 (Hazel Nut Brown - Very Dark) for the thread tying the ornament to the branch. That is not what is stitched in the sample. The sample shows the thread as way more gold. Well, I already have some Whiskey for the Winter ABC's. I can use that. And I can use WDW Hunter for the pine needles.

I am pleased with my kitting, but somehow I can't stop now. I want to kit up one of the small needlepoint canvases I bought Maui. I did buy some smaller stretchers bars, but none of them are quite the right size. You know what that means! A trip to the LNS!!! More on what I found there tomorrow.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

the Bent Creek design is adorable!

Kathryn said...

I've been doing a lot of Bent Creek designs lately. I love them all, but especially the sheep!

Jennifer said...

These are both adorable! Your stash must be so organized!