Thursday, May 3, 2007

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

Today’s SBQ was suggested by Kathryn and is:

How many WIPs do you have? How many UFOs do you have? When does a WIP become a UFO?

Although I was the one who asked this question, I know I am going to have a hard time answering it. If I count just WIPs that I have worked on in the last month, I have just three: Lily of the Valley Flower Fairy cross stitch, Pineapple Fish needlepoint, and the April Christmas Ornament SAL (Woodland Snowfall). But I also have several items in my Working Pile that I consider WIPs even though I may not have stitched them in over a year.

My oldest WIPs are six Christmas ornaments for family members that I have been working on for over seven years. I used to spend a lot of time at conventions sitting behind a table and selling memberships to a future convention. There were long stretches of time that no one came by the table, but reading at the table seemed a bit rude to people who did need to speak to me. If I had been reading, they may have hesitated to interrupt me. Stitching, on the other hand, made people curious to see what I was doing. I picked these projects because they were kits on plastic canvas. I didn't need a hoop to stitch them and they packed down into a small plastic bag. All of these projects are completely cross stitched, but only three are backstitched and none of them are cut out.

Although I no longer sit behind a table, every November I take these projects out again and promise myself that I will finish them for this Christmas. I even took them to Maui during our last trip, telling myself that I would work on them before November and get them finished this year. Sigh. I was too sick to do much stitching, so these projects went back in the Working Pile.

Another project in the Working Pile is this French cross stitch. We go to Lexington, Kentucky for Christmas most years. Since the Christmas ornaments are going to be presents for my in-laws, I can't work on them there. For several Christmases, I used to bring this piece of cross stitch that I bought in Paris to Kentucky to work on. I only worked on it the week I was in Lexington, so it is definitely a Work in Slow Progress. Now that I am stitching on a much more regular basis, I can probably get this finished this year.

Frankly, I really don't know how many UFOs I have. Projects become UFOs when we move and I loose complete track of them. My oldest UFOs are two pieces of needlework, the Chinese Pillow and the Cat on the Table. The Chinese Pillow is over thirty years old, but I still have it and maybe some day I will finish it. I also have a cross stitch Wedding Announcement from Stoney Creek that I started in 2002 for my nephew and his wife. It is a very large floor stand piece that I have completely lost track of. I packed it when we moved from California to Nevada. I know it is in a box somewhere, but right now I don't know where all the bolts are for the floor stand. If I ever finish organizing the sewing room, I will get this started again. I also have a needlepoint pumpkin that I started in a class several years ago. I will be restarting it in August when one of the Project Spectrum colors is orange.

I thought this was all of my UFOs, but recently I came across a needlework canvas that I bought twenty years ago of Poseidon. I took about fifty stitches in silver along his trident, then abandoned it. I don't even know why. There might be a few other pieces in boxes that I have forgotten. This is not even counting a few projects that I have completely kitted up, but haven't started. Sometime this year I am going to start stitching Three Gables from The Cross Eyed Cricket. I don't feel badly about all these UFOs. Now that I am stitching on a regular basis, I feel confident that all of them will be completed in the next year or two.

No comments: