Friday, June 22, 2007

Time for Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

Today’s SBQ was suggested by Kathryn and is:

When you start a new work do you look for something small, do you look for another huge project or do you consider your UFOs?


This is a hard question to answer, even though I was the one to ask it! Before this February when I started this blog I might have only stitched a few threads on Pineapple Fish when I was going to a convention or at my mother-in-law's house. If I had any free time, I would probably have been reading a book. But I realized that I do like to stitch and I had dozens of kits, patterns and needlepoint canvases. If I was every going to stitch even a small percentage of them I would have to start on some them now. So on February 7th I searched around for a small project to travel with and started Silver and Gold. The amazing thing is that I actually finished it! It might have been my first finish in two years. (I made progress on Pineapple Fish, but am still not close to finishing it).

The next impetus to start a project came from Project Spectrum. It just started in February and the colors were white, blue, and grey. I had a lot of great plans for projects that are still in pieces, but I did finish Winter. For the colors green, pink, and green, I started Flower Fairy. I even stitched on it today, but it is also a long way from being finished. When my niece was born in March, I decided I needed to stitch her some bibs and finished two of them.

Meanwhile I also joined the Christmas Ornament Stitch Along. This is the stitching weekend for June and I will start a Hillside Samplings ornament this evening. I also have kitted up Rouge for Project Spectrum. The June and July colors are red, black, and metallic, so this pattern should fit right in. I also have a red and black needlepoint canvas that I might do.

I don't specifically look for small projects, but we have been traveling a lot, so small is better. I have a Japanese needlepoint canvas that I want to take to Japan in August. I also have three of six plastic canvas needlepoint canvases done that I WILL finish by this Christmas. When the colors of Project Spectrum change to orange, brown, and purple in August, I have a complex orange pumpkin UFO that I want to come back to and dozens of pumpkin cross stitch patterns that I could start.

So far Project Spectrum, the Christmas Ornament Stitch Along, and various family or travel projects have been my major inspiration for projects so far this year. But now that I know that I will stitch over a consistent period of time, I want to stitch some larger projects. I didn't dislike my UFOs, I just stopped stitching altogether when I abandoned them. First I want to FINISH some UFOS, especially the Victorian Wedding Remembrance. I also have a few other small projects that I could work on that are long standing UFOs. Then I want to stitch at least one Teresa Wentzler or Mirabilia pattern. I also want to needlepoint at least one large canvas (after I finish Pineapple Fish). If I can keep up this steady pace for the next two years, I ought to have a dozen or more finished projects. That is so much more progress than the last five years, that I will definitely feel more accomplished!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Great question this week! :)

Have a great weekend!