Monday, June 25, 2007

A Time in Hell

Although I started out well, once again I could not complete an ornament on the Christmas Ornament SAL weekend. I finished this much before we boarded the plane from Cincinnati to O'Hare on Saturday afternoon. That flight is rather short, so although I brought my stitching out, there really wasn't enough time to actually do more than finish a few stitches. I knew the flight from O'Hare to San Francisco would be around four hours, so I thought I would have time to get a lot of it done.

Instead, our quick six day trip turned into another nightmare of living in the same clothes for days at a time. Our 8:15 pm flight was "delayed". They should have just told us it would be canceled when we arrived. If I had logged into my email I would have seen the email that announced we were rebooked for Sunday morning that was sent before we even arrived in O'Hare. This was really unacceptable. We had a meeting in San Francisco on Sunday at 9 am! They could have put us on a flight to Oakland or San Jose, but they didn't. Instead at 10pm they gave us a voucher for the Hilton Hotel. It's connected to the airport, but we had to walk about a mile to get there and stand in line for an hour to get checked in. We didn't get to bed until almost midnight, but had to get up by 5 am to get some breakfast. We hadn't eaten since lunch Saturday and couldn't count on getting fed on the plane or having any restaurants open early at O'Hare. By the time I got on the plane, I was a zombie. I hadn't had much sleep in the last three days. I slept a little on the plane (no stitching!), but was still comatose while we waited for our luggage. It did arrive with us, but again we had been in the same clothes for over 24 hours. We got to our meeting after 1 pm. By the time we left at 6:30pm I could barely stand up. Today was almost a total loss. I didn't sleep well last night either and couldn't nap much. I did finish the border, though. Our electricity went out for over an hour this afternoon, so it was either read or stitch. I stitched while listening to my iPod.

Hopefully, I will get some sleep tonight and start tomorrow checking off the two dozen things I have to do before Friday. Unfortunately none of those things include having to stitch, so I might not have more to say until after this weekend. I hope everyone has a good Fourth of July.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh man! What a nightmare!! I'm glad your baggage at least kept up with you this time. I hope the week has a better finish than it started!

tkdchick said...

How awful!!! I was in Chicago back in March and I got shuffled gates at least 4 times! What a pain... when that happens its a miracle your luggage makes it.

Dawn said...

How terrible! I hope you get some sleep!

Itching To Stitch said...

I've just come across your blog and hope you recover from the airline nightmare. You poor thing ;)

Von said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to endure this nightmare!! I've been surprised at the good luck I've had with my flights this spring, no delays or cancellations, luggage arrived the same time I did - amazing! Hope the week ends better than it started. :)

Chiasmata said...

Argh, I can sympathise. Last year I had a flight cancelled on me on very short notice. Ended up spending the night in a central Brisbane backpackers hostel... which is something I never want to repeat again! Glad to hear it's all over now, and your luggage survived the ordeal.

stitcherw said...

That sounds like the trip from H..., I'm so sorry that it turned into such a disaster. Hopefully the next time you have one it goes smoothly for you.

Kathy said...

It definitely was a trip from H***. Hope you are finally rested up. I just came across your blog and was reading some back posts about organizing. I use and love the Floss-A-Way bags for all my threads from DMC to overdyes to silks. However, I quit using zip-loc bags when I found zippered mesh bags at my LNS. They come in lots of sizes. You can do one for each project or can put more than one project to a bag. I use one of the smaller ones to keep scissors, needles and other little accessories in. Ask your local LNS for them. Available from Yarn Tree or Norden Crafts.