Thursday, June 14, 2007

SBQ: A Time to Organize

Today’s SBQ was suggested by Jennifer and is:

How do you store your WIPs and other projects that you have kitted up?

Like many other people, I find ziploc bags to be the best way to keep projects organized. I thought about getting a slightly larger bag, so I could keep projects of this size closed, but the extra plastic was too much to deal with, so I just use this size and some of the smaller projects can fit in the bag and be closed when I am not working on them. This is Flower Fairy on 11" x 8" Q-snaps.

I also have Floss*A*Way bags for gathering up threads for larger, stay at home projects. I could put some of the smaller projects in a ziploc with the Floss*A*Way bags, but haven't so far.

Since I travel all the time, I need a traveling bag. I "stole" this bag from my husband who got it for attending a Photoshop class at MacWorld (while I was wandering around the exhibit hall buying things.) I can put three or four ziploc bags in this larger bag, plus my iPod, which is essential for stitching.




Once I have the Macworld bag packed, I put it in this rolling carry on bag. Since you are supposed to have only two items carried on board, once I get to my airline seat, I pull out the Macworld bag and put the rolling bag up above. I can get the Macworld bag and my purse under the seat in front of me.

That is one of my projects for today. Friday we leave for San Francisco and on Sunday for Kentucky, back to San Francisco the following Saturday. I need to make sure that I have all my stitching projects in order for the next three weeks that I will be gone. I probably won't get much stitching done in San Francisco (too many meetings), but I always stitch in Kentucky.

And speaking of organizing, here is what organizing a program for a convention looks like. These are the cards for program items. There is a separate table (and stack of cards) for the individual program participants. You start by inviting people and coming up with interesting topics to talk about. You then start putting people on panels and eventually putting panels in time slots and rooms. Meanwhile entering all this information in a database. Luckily this is a small convention. With larger conventions you end up with post-it notes everywhere and reams of printouts that you keep flipping through.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great system! Thanks for the pictures. :) I cannot imagine organizing large conventions like you do. I believe I would resemble the proverbial chicken, sans head.

Kendra said...

Your recent comment on my blog re: humidity in Kentucky...Sorry to disappoint, but it's pretty doggone humid here. :-( Other than my morning walks with my girls, I try to stay indoors as much as possible.

Just typical weather for this time of year!

tkdchick said...

Wow! You are organzied! But then if you plan conventions... no wonder!!!!

stitcherw said...

I love Ziplocks too, plus for me they are great at helping to keep out the "specialty fiber" my several pets try to contribute. Have fun on your trip, and I'm looking forward to seeing your stitching updates when you get back.
BTW, thanks for the link to your picture using the Whitewash for snow, it looked great. I think the subtle coloring looked really good with the fabric that you chose.
Sue