Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Time to Remember

The SBQ question that I asked about needles was because I used this technique to organize my largest cross stitch project (126w x 157h stitches). I prethreaded 26 needles with all the colors I would need, stuck them in a bit of foam core (card stock over a core of styrofoam, available at most general craft stores), and labeled each one with the DMC number and the chart symbol.

Here is a closeup of a small section. Since I had to change colors after every few stitches, I think I would have gone mad without this system. And yet when you read the answers to this question, almost everyone said that they only ever use one needle at a time! Imagine threading and rethreading a needle after every few stitches. No wonder large projects are intimidating. I really hope to convince a few people that this system is a definite time saver. Not only because the needles are threaded, but also because you don't have to hunt around for the next color. They are all right there in front of you.

And here is the project that all these colors are for. It is called Victorian Wedding Remembrance from Stoney Creek, Our Special Day, Book 95. It is on 28 count white linen with all DMC threads. I am about 70% done. I still need to finish the last bit of cross stitching in the lower right hand corner and do all the backstitching (which is around everything in the picture except the green vegetation.) There are also some beads in the empty strip on the right and some lettering in the two open spaces in the middle.

Will I start working on this again soon? Nope. This is in a very large Q-snap frame. It is too large to hold in one hand, as I do for most of my smaller projects. I need a floor stand for this and my floor stand is all in pieces. I have all the wooden bits, but am missing the bolts to put the frame together. If I ever find them, I will probably try to finish this up.

-----------------------------------------

I've been good about working on programming (instead of stitching) this weekend, but I have to say, if XML weren't so useful I would throw my computer across the room. I now know more about moving data from FileMaker to InDesign CS3 via XML and XSLT than anyone should have to know.

7 comments:

tkdchick said...

I use a similar system for my TW's but I use a scrap of fabric!

Jennifer said...

Great system for big pieces!

Ruth said...

Hey Kathryn --- Frankly, I think that Stoney Creek woman is on drugs. Sheesh -- can you get more color changes in ridulously small spaces??!?! May you blots magically return so you can stitch again because that is a stunning piece.

I'm still not sure about Gnomeworld. I want to go, but I'm being pestered to take part in a racewalk in Sonoma, and I'm feeling guilty because I don't really want to go to it. Maybe I could racewalk around the con in sympathy and call it a day. :)

Heidi said...

I used this system when woriking on the still unfinished Dutch Beauty sampler. It's a great way of working. I'm happier working with one color at the moment! Your is a beautiful piece, hopefully we'll get to see it complete one day!

stitcherw said...

I liked your needle system. So far I've only done one or two pieces in the past where something like that would have helped. Most of my projects tend to be smaller. However,I've made a note so the next time I get a big project going I can be more organized (and hopefully more efficient).
Sue

Chiasmata said...

Thanks for sharing your technique. I haven't tried a project large enough to warrant all that so far, but I have one coming up that is all shades of cream and tan and I might just give it a go.

Susan said...

Wow, sounds like a great way to organize things for a project with that many threads. You are good!