Here's how much I finished on this by Tuesday afternoon. I know it is hard to tell what is stitched and what isn't, but I finished some white and black across the top band and most of the red present on the left side. If I can finish the present and the bands by the end of the month (leaving the white background for later), I will post it on Project Spectrum.
I said that it was complex to chose the right threads and the right stitches for needlepoint. Now in a detailed section like this one, a simple tent stitch is all that you can do. And if ALL the stitches are tents, they fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.
But what if some of your stitches are not tents (like a twill stitch)? Tent stitches don't fit together with the twill stitches. I suppose I could have stitched the white spiral as a twill also, but I was worried about coverage. The answer is demonstrated in the bottom spiral. I turned those tent stitches into cross stitches and now I have good coverage and a similar "weight" to both stitches. If you look closely you will see that I haven't covered every bit of canvas with thread. I'd rather keep the rhythm of the twill pattern than try to jam a few more stitches into the spiral. And with the canvas a matching color to the red twill thread, you can hardly tell that the canvas is showing. This won't be a cushion, so I won't have to worry about catching the threads or showing wear.
I went to the Status Thimble this afternoon and picked up enough Pebbly Perle to finish this out (and a backup spool of red Neon Rays). I get to work on this while my husband is at his artists' reception this evening and probably a lot again tomorrow. On Sunday we have the reception for our foundation show. We spent the last two days hanging the show and this morning giving a Docent Tour, so we could explain the images and techniques to the people who will be asked the most questions over the next three months. The show looks good!