Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Half a Pumpkin

I guess I still have Project Spectrum on my mind. I'd really like to finish a piece for August / September. Yes, I started the pumpkin piece. It is appropriately called "Tiny, Itty, Bitty Pumpkin Trio" from Twisted Threads in Madeira, Ohio. This is the only stitched pumpkin. The other two are pieces of felt that are attached over stitching. I guess I am getting prepared for Postcard from Paradise. I didn't look carefully at the chart before I bought it. This piece is over one on 32 count linen. I am ONLY stitching this during bright daylight! Postcards is specified for 40 count evenweave over one. At least that will make it easy to travel with (even if it will be hard to stitch). As I was stitching this I had to keep reminding myself that this was OVER ONE. I see linen and I start counting over two.

Although working with only one thread mean less twisting, the stitches do have a tendency to want to go UNDER the warp rather than over it. The finished picture shows that entire piece as half the size of the beautiful frame they have it in. I hope I can find a frame similar to the one in the picture. This piece calls out to be framed.

--------------------

I love reading a blog called Stitch Bitch. She pointed to another blog called Bella Dia who is posting a "sampler" of words in her life. You start with A and post a word (and explanation). This is supposed to last from today until August 27. I might not get to all the letters because we will be in Japan starting on August 24, but I will try it out and see how it goes.

A is for Abyssinian

I almost used August as my A word, since we were married in August, but I have to say that Abyssinian cats were such a huge part of my ordinary life that A belongs to them. I first fell in love with Abyssinian cats in 1983 when I went to a cat show in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco to buy a pedigreed cat. I'd had moggies (shelter cats) for my entire life, but the last shelter cat we had bit our apartment manager and we had to put him to sleep. I wanted a pet with a bit more predictable disposition. I'd only seen pictures of most pedigreed cats and I wasn't sure if I wanted a Russian Blue, a Somali, or maybe a Balinese, but once I saw an Aby in person, it was love at first sight. The only issue was that the cat I wanted was destined to be a show cat. My husband thought that I "needed a hobby", so we bought Scarlett and I showed her and bred her. A beautiful red Abyssinian kitten, Valentina, from our second litter became a Regional winner (12th best cat in CFA's Northwest Region) and we bred and showed Abyssinians, Birmans, Tonkinese, and other breeds for twelve years. We still have three "leftover" ruddy Abys (pictures here) , but I would really like to have another red female someday.


7 comments:

Kendra said...

Funny you mentioned Stitch Bitch and the word sampler...I just stumbled across Stitch Bitch's blog today and read her A entry! I'm going to keep reading to see her alphabet, so now I'll make sure to read yours, too! :-)

As for Abys, I agree with you! They are such neat little kitties. They're beautiful critters, and every one I've been around has had the best personality. We're a non-cat household here -- hubby is not a cat person, I'm allergic -- but if I could have a kitty, I'd gladly take an Aby.

Jennifer said...

Great start! I'm really starting to get into the fall stuff these days. Looking forward to seeing this one coming along!

Sherry said...

I have been working on an Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by doing it out in scrapbooking! Can't wait to see your pumpkins as I love everything about Fall!

Anna van Schurman said...

You know, I think I stroked the Trio of Pumpkins and thought about starting it when I was looking through my pumpkin patterns for that list. I'll watch your progress with pleasure! I'm looking forward to reading your encyclopedia too...it's been interesting to see everyone's As: addresses, aging, Abyssinian so different!

Dawn said...

Great start on the pumpkin!

Chiasmata said...

Looking good so far. Switching to one over one on such a little count would be a challenge! Good luck with Project Spectrum.

stitcherw said...

Your cats are gorgeous. I hadn't seen Abyssinian's before, but my parents have a Tonkinese who is just as sweet as can be.
Sue