Tuesday, August 7, 2007

No Stitching Today

Instead I bring you this picture taken of the sunset over Lanai yesterday evening. We spent today shopping "over the Pali" (on the other side of the island in Kahalui). We are trying to sell a cottage in Lahaina and have decided that it would sell faster if it were totally furnished. It is a very small house, so we need to buy smaller scaled furniture. Today we bought a sofa and recliner (very, very comfortable) for the living room and a dining table and chairs. We are still stymied about what to put in the second bedroom. It's too small for a queen or even a full sized bed. We might try a sofa bed, but we are worried about getting through the hall. The third bedroom will be for a television and desk, but again don't know how we will fit furniture through the hallway. We can fit a queen sized bed in the master bedroom, but need a very small (and very low) headboard.

-----------

G is for Georging

Four years ago my husband brought me a dollar bill with some markings on it. It asked to "Track this bill on www.wheresgeorge.com". James always thinks I need a hobby, so he gave the bill to me and told me to enter it on the Where's George website. It didn't come from very far away, just Cupertino, CA, but I was intrigued by the entire idea of finding out where money came from. I handwrote www.wheresgeorge.com on all the bills in both our wallets and waited for someone else to enter them in. That first bill we found was hit again in Lexington, KY, when we were there visiting family, then nothing happened for over a month, so I decided to buy a stamp rather than trying to handwrite on all the bills we were spending. The next hit (a notification that someone found the bill and entered it into Where's George) came in just seven days later. After that hits started to come in at a regular basis. We have gotten at least one hit (one bill entered by someone else) per day for over the past two years. We enter, mark, and spend 15 to 20 bills per day and average six or seven hits per day. Our bills have been found in all fifty states and 23 foreign countries. This is a map of where our bills have been found. Will I continue to do this for another four years? Probably not. It takes time to enter and mark all our money. We used to buy everything with marked cash, but lately have been using credit cards again, especially for large purchases.

6 comments:

Kendra said...

That dollar bill tracking thing sounds cool! I don't think I've ever heard of that. I know I've never come across a marked bill, but if I do, I now know what to do with it! :-)

Barbeeque4 said...

I've done that with some bills and it is very interesting where they can get to.

Thanks for the Discount Fabric site and suggestion, I will check them out today. Also thanks for stopping by my blog, I've enjoyed yours for quite a while!! :)

edgar

stitcherw said...

What a gorgeous picture. As to the one smaller bedroom, what about a futon? It could fold out to a bed, fold up to a couch, and most come apart easily so it would fit in the hall and door. My DD had one that was really pretty in her apartment for quite a while.
Sue

Dawn said...

That picture is gorgeous!!

Jennifer said...

How fascinating! I've come across a few bills marked that way, but I admit I didn't enter them. How lame! I definitely will if I see anymore. :)

Gorgeous pic!

Meari said...

Tracking money sounds like fun! I'll have to check that out. :D