Monday, August 6, 2007

Pumpkin Finished

I decided to finish this pumpkin, even if I did not finish stitching the entire pattern. I don't think the profound difference in the stitched sample to the photograph was a matter of old threads, though I know that some DMC colors have changed. I don't think it was a matter of the colors looking different from one scan to another (if it was then there would not be such a pronounced difference between shades of the pumpkin stem and the pumpkin body). I think it was simply a misapplication of color names. Medium Pumpkin sounds orange, but it is really BROWN. You can see how brown it is on the DMC pages. Whatever threads they used for the model, they did not specify the same threads on the chart.

I still like the chart. I'd like to start it over using evenweave fabric. Linen is both too variable in thread diameter and too rough. I have all sorts of little threads poking though from the fabric. And this time I will chose threads by the COLORS and not by the numbers or names. Meanwhile I need to make this pumpkin up into something. It could be a tin box lid (I am addicted to Altoids and have dozens of boxes around the house). Or it could be a scissors fob. Getting some beautiful orange beads could make it a lovely fob. Meanwhile on to other projects.

-----------

E is for Eckankar

a spiritual path that I have traveled for many years.

-----------

F is for Food

Yes, I admit it. I am a Foodie. The 700 cookbooks should have given you a clue. I love food magazines, FoodTV (hooray for Alton Brown, scientific AND a great cook!), Harold McGee, food history, and high end restaurants. I have eaten in most of the best restaurants in San Francisco, Paris, Las Vegas, and Hawaii. And I publish restaurant reviews on Yelp.com. I used to answer food related questions on AskJeeves and still do occasionally on Live Journal. I love foie gras, sushi, molecular gastronomy, and pinot noir. I love most any food except coconut (allergic) and coffee. Do I weigh 300 pounds? No, I could have, but over the last two years I have been steadily losing weight (around 60 pounds so far) by drastically reducing the amount of food that I eat. I still eat butter and cream and steak. I just don't eat much of it. And strangely enough, after cooking for so many years, I rarely cook from recipes anymore (except for baking). Almost everything I cook, I just add this and that until it is delicious.

7 comments:

Itching To Stitch said...

I love your little pumpkin, it would make a great fob ;)

Dawn said...

The pumpking is so cute!

Chiasmata said...

Good to hear you can use the pumpkin for something, even if it didn't turn out like you planned.

Anna van Schurman said...

I love your little pumpkin!

I had that problem (with the colors) on the Drawn Thread pumpkin freebie. Thanks for giving the heads up; because someday, I will stitch this. I will!

stitcherw said...

Cute finish, I like the way it turned out. As to finishing, I think it would be fun on a jar top too. Like one of the mason jars that you could fill with dried soup mix, or teas or something, and then put this on it as a jar topper.

Some linen is ok, but for the most part I prefer evenweaves. Linens seem to give me such a hard time with the different thicknesses of the threads.
Sue

Jennifer said...

Cute little pumpkin!

Meari said...

I think your little pumpkin would look nice as a fob. It's cute. :)