Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

Today’s SBQ was suggested by Jennifer and is:

How did you get started stitching? Was there a person that inspired you?

Like many of you, I come from a long line of stitching women. My mother's mother was a professional seamstress and in the '60s known for stitching couture Barbie clothes (including feathered pillbox hats). My mother sewed many of her own clothes and taught me to sew on a Singer footpedal machine. My mother later went on to design and stitch needlepoint. I know I stitched when I was younger. I remember working on some stamped pieces like pillowcases and placemats, but none of them are still around. The first piece I remember needlepointing is the Dimensions kit hanging on the wall of stitching at my mother-in-law's house. I became more serious about stitching in the '70s in New Zealand, when I worked on a still unfinished needlepoint pillow. I worked 100 hour weeks, raised and showed pedigree cats in the '80s and '90s, so not much stitching was done then. I don't even remember when I started to cross stitch. It might have been this lady bug piece or it could have been these Christmas ornaments on plastic canvas. I don't know when I bought all the stash I have (or when I am going to finish it all). But I do know that this blog has helped me greatly on continuing to stitch (and continuing to buy stash).

------------------

N is for Needlework

It is appropriate that this letter is in this posting. Since I have this blog and I just finished recounting the history of my needlework, it is pretty obvious that I am serious about needlework. I have also been to a CATS stitching festival in Santa Clara, California, taken several classes on stitching, and visited the needlework section of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London -- a fascinating place, go if you can!

O is for Ocean

It might seem odd that we live in Nevada when it is so far from the ocean, but I have lived near large bodies of water most of my life. I was born in Illinois next to Lake Michigan and lived in lakeside communities while I was growing up, including going to Northwestern University and walking along the lakeside almost every day. When we moved west we lived in Eugene, Oregon, but we went to the coast almost every weekend. My husband was starting his photography career then, and liked nothing better than shooting rocks and driftwood. I brought a book and read with a promise of a dinner at our favorite restaurant, the Windward Inn. In New Zealand we lived on the top of an old house on a hill and had vistas of the Hauraki Gulf and the Tasman Sea. When we first moved to California we lived inland, but when we bought our first house it was in Half Moon Bay and our second in Moss Beach. Even our house in Burlingame had a great view of the San Francisco Bay. Our houses in Maui have all had great ocean views. As for Nevada, does a huge pool count?

4 comments:

Sherry said...

I totally forgot that I was also a member of SB at yahoo! LOL! Guess I should begin answering some of these questions too! Thanks for the reminder!

Ruth said...

Kathryn..... I'm so totally jealous. Ocean-ish views all around you AND off to Japan. Sigh. The Embassy Suites at CopperCon has a pool :) I'll think of you as I pass it.

Have a great time at WorldCon, and have a few gyoza on my behalf.

Ruth said...

Kathryn! You didn't tell me your AGOH was Lubov. I have one of hers. Dang, it's going to be really hard not to buy more even though I have no where to hang them!

Jennifer said...

I miss the ocean here. :( We live about 3-4 hours from the closest beach and that's just too far to make the trip with any kind of regularity.