Monday, September 10, 2007

No More Stash

I may have been traveling, but that hasn't stopped me from shopping. When I got back to Nevada, I had these two kits (threads and beads, but no fabric) waiting for me. This Mirabilia is actually quite small, so maybe I have a chance stitching this SAP (Small A** Project) before I tackle one of her larger projects. I should have some fabric in my stash that should work well with this. Possibly some some opalescent fabric from Silkweaver. Can't have too much sparkles.



I also got this pattern to hang in Hawaii. Raise the Roof has a series of cute washing line pictures, but this was the one for me. The fabric for this is still to come.

But in going through my stash I came to a disheartening conclusion. I have way, WAY too much stash and not nearly enough time. Sigh. I don't think I am going on an actual Finish X Before Buying More diet, but I do have to stop buying charts. If I can hold out until the end of the year (with maybe one LNS tour in Boston this December), I will feel better about myself and my stash. So if I want to buy more, I better get stitching.

This shouldn't count against fabric and thread stash though. :-) I could not resist samples of the new Weeks Dye Works fabric. I got Scuppernog, Aztec Red, Sky, and Gunmetal (that is a dark gray, not a navy or black). I am most interested in using the Aztec red. I really don't know if I have a chart appropriate for it, but it is so different from the usual colors of evenweave that I just want to find something that would look good stitched on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also was curious about Vickie Clayton silk threads, so last month I ordered Threads of the Month #18 and a Detritus Bag (unlabeled threads and silk ribbon). I am not sure what to do with the ribbon, but using it for ornaments or flatfolds should be easy. When I saw the bright orange in the Detritus Bag, I knew how to restart the Teeny, Tiny Pumpkins chart. Since I will have to substitute all the thread, why not use silk?

So I went through Vickie's colors and ordered all the ones that were orange or seemed compatible with the Pumpkins chart. And since I had an order going, I added the Thread of the Month #19. Does this mean another order this month to pick up #20. Sure it does. I hope I can assuage my stash buying with threads and fabrics and lay off the charts for a while.


13 comments:

Chiasmata said...

Wow, there's some really beautiful threads there. You can stitch pumpkins til your heart's content. :) I like the fabby too.

Kendra said...

Oh that Christmas Tree chart is gorgeous! If I didn't have way too many things to do, I'd get that one in a minute. And you're right...it would look great on some opalescent material.

Cindy said...

I know how you feel about the stash! I just have such a hard time resisting all of the wonderful new pieces when they come out :)

Sherry said...

Both charts are wonderful! I have also decided to TRY not to buy anymore charts until the end of the year. I can't make any promises except that I will try! LOL! I have so many waiting to be done!

Mindi said...

Looks like you picked up some nice silk from Vikki, I love her floss and haven't used any DMC since I started ordering from her.

The Mirabilia tree will look gorgeous on some opalescent fabric!

Meari said...

Wow... Great stashing. I really like the Christmas Tree one. Happy Stitching! :)

tkdchick said...

Fantastic stash!

Jeanne said...

Ooh, starting with VC silks - I don't know what I'm going to do with all the DMC, because Vicki's silks are so reasonable and so yummy! And she's a great person, too. She lives about 45 minutes from me, so we've had her come to an EGA meeting and the region seminar. Seeing her collection of silks *in person* is amazing!

Lelia said...

LOL -- you are kidding , right? About not getting more stash? You have to buy the orn mag ... it is tradition. Gotta buy it, gotta browse thru it, gotta select the best-of-the-best & crown the "what-is-that-all-about" ...

PS love your new fibers.

Barbeeque4 said...

Great silk Stash and beautiful charts!!

piemurmom said...

I've been lurking on your blog for several months now. Your background is very similar to mine and the same age. Sadly for me, you are doing the fun things now that I never had the courage to jump out and do. I am a nerdy Needlepointer, so even though your are mostly doing xstitch I am living vicariously thru your tech adventures.

Kathryn said...

piemurmom --

Watch for some needlepoint to get back in the rotation. No blog? Do you have a website? I'd love to see what you are working on.

Ruth said...

LOL Vickie's silks are addictive, so I completely understand that and I'm bang alongside the "I've got too much stash" complaint, but Miribilia's 7000-bead tress as a SAP? lol You're nuts. I don't care how small a Mira is, it always counts as a major accomplishment--- especially one with that many beads! Heck, I'm using the Mira Halloween Fairy as a way to psych myself into getting going on one of her BIG charts because it's easy and small-ish --- Note, not nearly as many beads as that dang tree, therefore I can call it small-ish!!!! lol

BTW, I love the Weeks fabrics -- you're right. They don't count. I just ordered a bunch of stuff ... heck from 3 places. Sheesh. I need to stop already! Anyway, one order was a pile of fabric. I think fabric doesn't count as much as patterns because fabric is kinda like stitching air-- ya gotta have it no matter what you do.