Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good -- I did get a lot of Warm Water Wash stitched this weekend. And I know exactly where I want to hang this when I get it framed. It will look great in the laundry room in Maui. That room needs a bit of brightening up.

The Bad -- I had to frog the first eight stitches I put in yesterday. I still had problems with knots. This kit came with full skeins of Crescent Colors. I will have a lot of thread that I don't like left over. When I finish the swimsuit and the hat, I will have to find my larger set of Q-Snaps.

The Ugly -- I was bored, bored, bored stitching all the purple. I started on the black swimsuit because I couldn't stitch another purple cross. When I went back to finish the purple I was very worried that I would run out of this thread. Since it is Rummed Raisin from Six Strand Sweets (probably no longer available anywhere), I couldn't just run out and get more. I thought about blending the last few stitches, but as it turned out I had about eight inches left.

I originally liked this pattern because it did have large blocks of color and no backstitching. I could just stitch for an hour without looking at the pattern every five seconds. I know I am slow because I choose patterns that are pretty intricate, even the small ones. But these simplified patterns are not the answer. When I look at this stitching and look at the Michael Powell, the Powell has better colors and more "life" to it. It is worth the extra time it takes to blend the threads and confetti stitch a dozen or more colors.

I don't know how much stitching I will do this week. I need to get back to our projects. Tomorrow is "go through papers" day and Tuesday we have to work on the brochure and website for the foundation.

3 comments:

Chiasmata said...

Ah, beware the Six Strand Sweet! :P I like the colours on this stitch, it certainly will brighten up the laundry.

Suzanne said...

The design look good so far! I am looking forward to seeing your Christmas stitch finished.

Barbeeque4 said...

This start is looking good so far, I really like that purple colour!!!