Friday, October 12, 2007

I THOUGHT I would be finished by now...

at least with the cross stitching. I did quite a lot on the airplane, which was fabulous. It really made the time speed by. But I didn't work on it yesterday, so off it goes to Los Angeles with me. Maybe I can finish it in the hotel tonight.

Ruth asked me if I wasn't worried about getting the white threads and fabrics dirty on the airplane. Well, no. First I do wash my hands before I take out any of my needlework, no matter what color. I also never lay any of my needlework or threads directly on the laptop tray. I always put them on the plastic bag that holds the kit. The stitching is also in a Q-snap frame, so even the back never touches a surface. The threads are in the plastic bag unless I am actually cutting them or putting them in a needle. I am much more paranoid about dropping or losing my needle threader or scissors. They are also in the plastic bag unless I am actually using them.

It doesn't really show in this picture but the top threads in the frame between windows two and three are slightly discolored. I did not stitch them on a plane, but they are probably the end threads. I should have just stopped, but it is hard to cut the ends long when just a little effort will finish out a section. I am not a thread miser per se, but I do want to finish those last little stitches in a color rather than start a whole new length.

6 comments:

Isabelle said...

I love this piece, it is going to be gorgeous once finished!
So, do you live in Maui and travel regularly to California? I should go farther back into your blog and read about that. :)

We're not allowed to stitch in (international) planes anymore, but I do enjoy stitching in trains; and I agree with you - it is completely possible to keep a project clean and tidy. Trains and planes provide perfect opportunities to stitch!

Chiasmata said...

Almost done. This one is much more complicated than I first realised.

I hate it when white threads get dirty. You could frog 'em... but there's always the hope that it'll wash out.

Dawn said...

It looks great!

Sherry said...

This piece is coming along fantastic!

Barb said...

That will be pretty when done. Great progress so far!

Ruth said...

Kathryn, it's beautiful!!! Great work. I did a Susan Treglown quilt needlepoint once -- a double wedding ring with a white background. All I stitched for months was white ... I hated every minute of it. :) I'm glad to know I'm not the only person keeping the ziplock bag folks in business. lol