Sunday, October 28, 2007

My First ATCs

ATCs are Artist Trading Cards. They can be made of any medium though most are probably just heavy card stock that is painted or collaged or stamped. I wanted to start making some as a boost to my creativity and as an expansion of my mediums of expression. So I joined a group on swap-bot.com that was doing ATCs dedicated to oriental themed fabric.




I have a LOT of fabric, so it was pretty easy to find some with an oriental theme. I cut out four 3 1/2 " x 4 1/2" pieces by using a template and looking for pleasing compositions.

I then cut out four pieces of scrap dupioni silk for the backing. I added a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" piece (the final finished size) of tear away medium stabilizer and machine embroidered my initials and the date on the back of each one.

I machine sewed three sides of each front and back piece, but did not remove the stabilizer. I left it in to give the finished piece some stability. I trimmed the corners diagonally and removed half the excess fabric. I turned the pieces inside out, ironed them, and hand stitched the bottom edge. I considered adding beads or trim or charms, but the finished pieces are so small and the designs are already so complex that in the end I left them alone.

Here are the four designs and backing before sewing them together.

























Would I do it again? Maybe. The size seems a bit small to get very creative. Possibly it would be more creative with paints or stamps. Since these are for a swap, I also have to see what I get in return to see if this is worth pursuing.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Cool, Kathryn. You certainly have a great fabric stash! I'm envious.

Chiasmata said...

Stunning fabrics, and so tiny. Your swap partner will love them. I hope you get something lovely in return.

tkdchick said...

I think its always good to expand our horizons!