Saturday, October 27, 2007

Other Things To Do With Thread

I like stitching. It is relaxing and easy. But every so often I want to try another craft. I was never into scrapbooking and take very few pictures of my family and friends. So I am taking some opportunities to try a few new things via swap-bot.com.

This is a Book Thong. It is ten inches of a three strand braid of Vicky Clayton #5 Perle Silk in Plumage finished with fire polished crystal and glass beads. Keeping the braiding even was the hardest part about making this. Since I made it pretty quickly, I decided to make one more.

This is ten and a half inches of a three strand braid of Vicky Clayton #5 Perle Silk in Irish Moss finished with fire polished crystal, glass beads, a Fimo mushroom, and silver gardening charms. This one was not so easy. If you look on the left hand side you will see that two of the strands have Mill Hill green glass beads. It took me hours to find beads big enough to thread through a needle and a doubled over strand of #5 Perle. I finally gave up and just put glass beads on the third thread. For the right hand side I used some large clear bugle beads that I had from a Project Spectrum beaded purse that I never started. I don't like this one as much as the first one, but the woman that I am giving it to loves gardening, so I hope that she likes this.

But what about the Michael Powell? I haven't had a lot of time to stitch, but I did finally find the Crossed Wing Collection, Feed the Hungry (#39) pattern that I thought I had lost. I want to stitch two of these ornaments (opposum and chipmunk) for my mother-in-law for Christmas. I haven't had time to kit them up, but I will put that on the agenda for tomorrow.

----------------------

Mostly I have been working on getting out the brochure for our art foundation before James left for San Francisco this morning. We give out two artist grants in February and have a exhibition of the top images in California in March. I still need to put the PDF on the website before I send any of the brochures out. We now have labels, stamps, and half the trifolded brochures stapled. Doesn't everyone have a database of names, laser labels and an electric stapler? :-) We have been sending out xeroxed flyers since the '80s when we used to do this for cat shows.

I have two days to clean up the house for the cleaners. It's still very cluttered. Then on Wednesday morning I leave for San Francisco at o'dark 0'clock and get my hair done later that afternoon. On Friday we leave for Maui for two weeks. This is the last time we will be there until late January. December is full of trips and parties. January is CES in Las Vegas and MacWorld in San Francisco. I love MacWorld. This past two weeks has been the quietest time we have had all year, but it is almost time to hit the road again. At least stitching is portable.

5 comments:

Alberta ('Berta) said...

Kathryn, your book thongs look stunning! Well done!

Susan said...

I love the book thongs. The top one is the loveliest color - I'll have to go look for some of that one.

Chiasmata said...

Great idea. I love all the different beads you use. I hope the swapbotters like 'em.

Ruth said...

Sheesh, Kathryn, I'm not sure how you have time to sleep... heck, maybe you don't. The book thongs are lovely and I can't wait to see the ornies from Crossed Wing. Hmmm, I wonder if I have that chart hanging out somewhere?

tkdchick said...

I think those are just lovely