Thursday, October 11, 2007

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

This week’s SBQ was suggested by Ternezia and is:

What for you means to achieve mastery as a stitcher?

When I completed the small pumpkin over one on 36 count linen, I thought that I had achieved some sort of mastery in the realm of cross stitching. But for me mastery is more than just stitching, it is FINISHING. And I am still a long way away from mastery on that score. If in the next couple of months I can stitch all the WiPs that I have started (except maybe Victorian Wedding Remembrance which will take six more months just on its own) and if I can FINISH some of the Christmas ornaments I have stitched, then I can say I'm beginning to see a bit of mastery in my stitching. My husband won't think I have mastered cross stitching until I start stitching my own designs.

But for me that is not really stitching mastery. I also needlepoint. The last couple of projects I have worked on, I have designed my own stitch guides, so I feel a bit of mastery in some area of needlepoint. But I need to finish a huge stitch sampler pumpkin that I started in a class several years ago before I can really say I have any mastery of needlepoint. The first small square (out of over 50) took me almost an hour to stitch. Yes, the squares are that intricate. I know that EGA has a lot of other types of needlework to master, but I doubt I will ever attempt to master crewel or stumpwork. I would like to do a crazy quilt at some time and some fabric embellishments for garments, but both of them take more concentrated time in one place than I have right now. As long as I keep stitching and keep enjoying it, that is mastery enough.

-----------------------

Yes, the old house in Maui is GONE. It actually turned out to be quite painless. The title company called us Tuesday morning and said that money had been wired to our account. James took the last gate remote control over to the resident manager Wednesday morning before we flew to the mainland and it is...done. Somehow it doesn't quite seem gone, since we haven't actually lived there for over a year. But I will say that I am greatly enjoying our new Maui house and was sad to leave it yesterday. The landscaping is done (and beautiful). We have all our furniture in one place. And after we put the cottage on the market in November, we can spend some quality time getting the new place just the way we want it.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Glad you got the house taken care of without much hassle.

I am not worried about becoming a cross stitch master in any way. I just want to enjoy it then I can say I have achieved what I want from it.

Barbeeque4 said...

Congratulations on the finishing up with the house stuff.