Thursday, October 25, 2007

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

This week’s SBQ is:

Do you railroad?

Yes. It's probably one of the reasons I am so slow. I don't use a laying tool, at least on cross stitch, though I do on needlepoint. I don't always railroad the bottom cross either, but I always railroad the top stitch by bringing the needle down through the middle of the two threads. About 95% of the time that is enough to have the top two threads lie parallel. A small percentage of the time they still twist and I might let it go or I might use my needle as a laying tool. What I will do is "fluff up" the stitches if I find that some of the stitches are not covering the fabric adequately. After much of the stitching is done in a section I will look back at it and see if there are any stitches that are really twisted enough to not properly cover. I will work my needle around them to see if I can make them lie flatter or cross differently to cover more. But railroading while top stitching is usually enough to make the thread cover.


4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Do you know, that in all the years I have been cross stitching, I have never heard this term. I suppose that I have never paid attention to how my threads lie. I have pulled out some of my stitching and most of my stitches do railroad. Lucky hey!

Barbeeque4 said...

Hi Kathryn,

I really enjoy and look forward to your comments!!! Keep them coming!!

That is a great bumper sticker, I have never seen it but how funny.

Don't get me wrong about the beach, I think it can be beautiful especially at dawn or dusk, or during a storm...it is just the "laying out" and the baking in the sun, such a waste of time!!! And actually traveling to a beach for vacation, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye!! :)

I really like the monochromatic and structured nature of the Quaker pieces, as you could tell. I really could never see myself doing a picture or painting or fantasy piece, that would make me crazy, but I can appreciate that others do them and do them really very well. That is why x-stitching is so nice there is such a cornucopia of designs and charts to do that there is something for everybody.

Have a great weekend!!

edgar

tkdchick said...

Good for you for railraoading! I'm too impatient!

Chiasmata said...

I do the same thing - railroad the top stitch. I really do notice the difference when I get lazy and don't railroad, so it keeps me in the habit.