Monday, November 26, 2007

More ATC Diversions

I have signed up for a few more Art Trading Cards swaps. These are the ones I worked on today. The swap specified using techniques in the book Artist Trading Cards Workshop. This particular exercise asked for a background of phone book pages. We had an old phone book in Maui that I brought back with me. I picked out some pages last week, but I didn't have the materials to make everything until last Wednesday and I didn't have time to make them then. I made these today. First you glue down the phone book page to card stock. Then you rub paint on parts of the page (or not). Then you add words and embellishments or draw. I tried to write and draw on the first one, but although my handwriting is legible, it is not calligraphic. I didn't even get the sticker where I wanted it. (The eel is too high and covers up part of Maui Divers.)

But that is what these exercises are all about. Each one is so small that even it if doesn't turn out as you had planned, you just move on to the next one. I had a lot of Vegas stickers from our Las Vegas convention parties, so I made up this one. This time I used an interesting font on clear sticky paper. It was just a bit longer than would fit, so it is more skewed than I would like.



The next one was another experiment. Instead of a single page, I used multiple pieces of phone book paper. Most of these names are Japanese. I wanted to indicate that the Japanese that moved to Hawaii found a home here. So I hope that this says Home Sweet Home in Japanese. I used Babelfish for the translation. It might say anything at all!



Now I am back to the Yellow Pages. I picked a gardening section and added palm trees and a bright sun. The stickers are glittery, but they aren't as bright as they seem here. I scanned these cards and the bright light made the shiny bits light up.






This one is called "Sew Good". I tacked down a bunch of embellishments with Tacky Glue. I hope they all stay put in their trip to New Jersey.








The last two are my favorites. I used some restaurant pages for the background, then some red at the bottom like a table cloth and some white at the top so that the letters would show up. I love these drink stickers.






I really, really like this one. I used the coffee page and added some tan paint. I found some coffee images in the Williams Sonoma and the Dean & Delucca Christmas catalogs and cut them out. The font is JAZZ, which I just love. The scanner cut off a bit of the left side, so it is not really that close to the edge. I like the combination of text, color, and images. It all works in 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

These are really good. I have wanted to try these as well, but I just don't have any artistic talent. Please post the ones you receive after the exchange.

Isabelle said...

Sorry for missing a whole week of entries, Kathryn!
Your ATC are great, so creative. Kudos!

Chiasmata said...

Looks like you've been having fun playing around. I like the sewing and pineapple one the best. It reminds ms of your blog. Which do you prefer, fabric or paper ATCs? From what I've seen online, people seem to either focus on one or the other.