Saturday, November 3, 2007

New Start for Christmas

No, this is not an umbrella or a propeller beanie. It's supposed to be the clear cover for a birdfeeder. That bit at the top is the branch it is hanging from. On top of the branch, one day, will be an opossum. I know that doesn't sound very Christmas-y, but my mother-in-law is crazy about American opossums (yeah, those things that look like a large rat). And I am going to make her an ornament of an opossum and one of a chipmunk (another of her favorite animals). I found it really, really hard to take this picture. I couldn't get the colors near what they look like in real life. I need to get a bit of white in the picture next time. When the whites show up as truly white (and the blacks are black), then the rest of the colors are balanced as best as they can be. Although this is the EXACT fabric called for in the design (28 count Wichelt linen in Dusty Green), it seems a lot darker than the pictured example. Maybe the backstitching will help the colors pop out of the fabric. Right now they seem to fade into the same color as the fabric.

I stitched the branch on the plane yesterday, but most of the rest of it was stitched yesterday afternoon. Today we spent most of the day out and about buying a few small things to finish decorating the cottage. Except for the curtains, I'd say we were about done.

The SBQ yesterday got me thinking about designing again. While I was reading a quilting blog, I saw an altered photograph and thought, "Bingo! I know what I am going to design." I even have a good idea of all the changes I can make to have a series, one design for every month. Now to see if I can actually design (and stitch) the first one before January. Just like non-writing writers, it's easy to come up with ideas, but it takes a lot of effort to put your fundament in the seat and create.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I can't wait to see more of this one! It sounds so interesting!