Thursday, November 22, 2007

Road Trip



Now that we are about to hit the road for the four hour drive to Los Angeles, I wondered how other people driving to and from Turkey Day festivities spend their time. Often we just talk or spend the time watching the scenery. Last time we drove to San Diego we rented Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, an audiobook of short stories read by Neil himself. It was wonderful, but we only got through half the book. We are planning to listen to the other half on this trip. But I also have a couple of CDs (Holiday Music, Female Voices) from swap-bot.com if we get tired of listening to stories. If I am in the car by myself, I will generally listen to NPR, especially Marketplace. But getting any stations in the middle of the desert is difficult, so road trips always need an iPod and CDs.

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and ate all the turkey they wanted to.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

I didn't vote because we do a little of each of those! The radio, cd's, talk, watch scenery!

debijeanm said...

Thank you for visiting my site. I really enjoyed my return visit and hope it's OK that I visit again.

Like Sherry, I can't vote because we do something different every time. My favorite mixes are two albums that my son (age 26) did of music from his memories for me. Everything from Willie Wonka and Mary Poppins to Billy Joel (And So It Goes), The Boss (War), and Jefferson Starship (We Built This City.) Throw in some Burl Ives, Sammy Davis, Jr. and music from Beverly Hills Cop and you have me in tears from the good memories.

We also like to travel to audiobooks. Our favorite recently was Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick, somehow appropriate for this time of year.

Have a great holiday season.

Barbara said...

We usually have the radio on, unless the kids complain or have brought a specific CD they want to hear. And there is always a LOT of talking!!

Anna van Schurman said...

I checked audiobooks but only because I wanted to recommend the Onions Our Dumb World. We esp. loved the entry on NJ. But even on this trip, we listed to a little music and talked too. It was 6.5 hours, after all...

Sweet Pea said...

I love, love, love my ipod. I love it so much I went out and bought one for my husband so he could have one too, but we usually listen to mine on car trips. I have a few specific playlists that I've set up with music I've hand selected, but I've also started doing some smart playlists that randomly select music based on criteria I've set up. It's been working out GREAT! This is the website I got the idea from:

http://smartplaylists.com/index.php?id=20

Scroll down to All Inclusive Mix. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Also, we get a TON of audiobooks from the library and import them into itunes so my husband can listen to them whenever he wants. I found another great idea for importing that makes all those tracks so much easier to deal with:

http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/itunes/importing-audio-cds/