Thursday, November 8, 2007

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

Today’s SBQ is:

When you have to frog out stitches, do you reuse that thread or do you start over with a new strand?

I depends when I frog. Usually I frog directly after stitching. "Oh, no! One stitch too many! That should have been down and to the left, not down and to the right." Therefore the thread hasn't been in the fabric for more than a couple of minutes and is usually in good enough condition to just reuse. If I have left it in overnight before frogging, I will generally use a new thread. The old thread is now crimped in a dozen different directions and will never lay flat again. But if it is a specialty thread (silk, Rainbow Gallery, Kreinik), I will generally always use a new thread. Those threads are more fragile than cotton and fray coming out of the fabric.

We got a late start, but we did go over the pali -- Home Depot, Lowes, OfficeMax, KMart, the post office -- lots and lots of errands. The good news is that we found some curtains and curtain rods that we liked for the living/dining room. I'd say the cottage is done, except for the doing; putting up the curtains and rods, making the beds, hooking up the DVD player. It might be seem strange to most people to provide such mundane things such as a canopener or dishes, but we have to consider our market. We are competing with fully furnished condos. This is meant as a fully furnished vacation house. It's too small (1,000 square feet) for most families to live there permanently. Anyone who buys it wants to move in with just their clothes. They don't want to spend time at Macy*s hunting down bedding and glasses when they could be at the beach. They just want to move in. We probably could have sold our old house a year ago if had agreed to leave all our furniture in it.

NaBloPoMo has just reminded us that the first week of the challenge has passed. I have managed to post every day so far this month. I'm glad this November and not December. That is going to be a hard month for me to make even a dozen posts, much less 31. Here's congratulations to other bloggers who have met this daily challenge!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I usually don't reuse my thread. It seems to get a bit fluffy and ragged and quite often loses it's sheen. I will only reuse it if I am frogging out one or two stitches.
I couldn't possibly do a post a day, I just don't have the time or the content to keep it up. Good luck with your challenge, I will be keeping a watch.