Sunday, December 2, 2007

Opossum FINISHED

I knew it wouldn't take very long to finish the opossum outlining. I thought I would finish him yesterday, but I was in a whirlwind of organizing and spent the day unpacking boxes -- mostly books (CFA Almanacs, quilting and decorating magazines) and sewing supplies (sewing fabric and more Q-Snaps, yeah!) Then we watched the only football we have watched all year, the Washington vs. Hawaii game. It was a thriller. While watching I did go though half the Christmas catalogs we have gotten in the mail so far. There are still a couple of feet more to peruse. It only took about a half an hour to finish the opossum, but I was not ready to start the chipmunk. I still have to iron the fabric.

So since I was on a roll I pulled out Flower Fairy again. You may think that I have forgotten her, but I have dragged her on all my past trips and even showed her to Ruth in Los Angeles. She just got pushed aside until the Christmas presents are finished. This backstiching is not as easy as outlining on the opossum. I have to look at each stitch on the pattern. The backstitch makes sense when you see the whole pattern, but not so much on a stitch by stitch level. In a little while I got the middle leaf done and started on the flower stalk. I'll have to put this down again and concentrate on the chipmunk this week.

---------

This picture is for Kendra. Hot Browns are the treat you get for making a fresh turkey. Yum, yum, yum. And none of those nasty tomatoes on them that you find in some bogus recipes. Our recipe is from Out of Kentucky Kitchens by Marion Flexner (1949), which lists this as Brown Sandwich (hot). The author mentions that it is perfect in winter, but that she prefers the Brown Sandwich (cold) -- rye bread, turkey, lettuce, tomato, hard boiled egg, and Thousand Island dressing when the weather is hot. It makes more sense to have tomatoes on a summer sandwich than a winter one.

8 comments:

Chiasmata said...

Congrats on the finish! Now, for the rest of the pressies. :P

Nice to see flower fairy again. I've always found the back stitch on those designs tricky. Certainly not relaxing to stitch.

Kendra said...

I'll have to admit the little possum is kind of cute. :-)

Oh, that Hot Brown looks heavenly! *drool* There is a little restaurant down river from here (in Henderson, KY) that serves an excellent Hot Brown. It's been a few years since I've been there, but perhaps it's time to make the drive over and have one again!

Isabelle said...

This Oppossum looks cute! Congrats on finishing it.

Paisley said...

Congratulations on finishing the opossum! It looks great!

tkdchick said...

Congrats on finishing your Opossum! He's very cute!

Suzanne said...

Congratulations on the opossum finish, he's really cute. Your belated Thanksgiving dinner looks yum, can't wait for the turkey at Christmas.

Meari said...

Congrats on your finish. It turned out well. :)

jamalyn said...

Can I ask what book you found your opossum pattern in? I have a coworker who absolutely hates them but I'm trying to turn her. ;)