Thursday, January 17, 2008

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

Today’s SBQ was suggested by Outi and is:

What is your favorite past time while stitching? Do you just enjoy silence, listen to music/audiobooks or do you “watch” TV/movies? Do you have specific favorites you listen to/watch while stitching?

Anyone who has read this blog knows that I always have my iPod (or iPhone) next to me when I am stitching. There are dozens of podcasts that I subscribe to and I am up-to-date on most of the technology ones. My favorites are CNET's Buzz Out Loud, TWiT's Mac Break Weekly and This Week in Tech. I also listen to American Public Radio's Marketplace (business news), Tim Goodman's Bastard Machine (television news and criticism), Grey's Anatomy, The Ninth: A Heroes Podcast, and a couple of random food shows.

I just can't watch television or movies while I stitch. I like the theater experience when I watch, so we demand complete darkness and concentration on what's on the screen. We never have the television on randomly. Everything we watch is TiVo'd or from DVDs. I will say that I have stitched when the television is on an Oakland Athletics baseball game or a University of Kentucky basketball game, but since both of these teams have been pretty wretched the past couple of years, it's been a long time since I have done that. When we were Oakland Athletics season ticket holders I did stitch a lot while listening to baseball games on the radio. But when we moved out of the Bay Area four years ago, it became more difficult to find them on the radio. I tried XM radio for a while, but didn't like to listen to the road games being announced by the rival teams announcers. Part of the experience of listening to baseball on the radio is the ongoing stories told by the voices you have become familiar with over the years.

I mean to try listening to an audio book while stitching, but since I have so many podcasts queued up, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. I'm also a pretty fast reader, so have been impatient with listening to someone else read a book. And speaking of podcasts, I'm back off to MacWorld to sit in on a live podcast of Mac Break Weekly.

4 comments:

Jennifer aka Sweet Pea said...

One of my very good friends and her dad are DIE HARD Yankee fans. Her dad was a fan since his childhood, and she grew up the same way. They're season ticket holders, but when her dad watches the game on tv, he'll mute the sound and pick up a Yankees station on the radio.

Virpi said...

My 4 years old son has "ordered" theo cut thru rocket from me (you wrote about it in SAT blog). I'm not sure if I manage to stitch it this year but we could try a SAL if you would like to. The next year I'm going to stitch only wolwes =).

Chiasmata said...

I used to listen to quite a few podcasts, then I got overenthuasiastic and subsribed to too many. It all became too much and I ended up ingoring all of them. That's a shame. I might have to catch up with some of them.

I hope you're feeling better. Lots of bloggers seem to be down with this lurgy that just won't go away.

Von said...

Since my son gave me a nano for Christmas, I've been hooked on it something awful - especially podcasts! I've been catching Buzz Out Loud too, as well as several NPR offerings, and bunches of others that I'm curious about. Guess the one that I've listened to the longest, pre-nano, is Annie Smith's Quilting Stash. I don't quilt, but I do love them and Annie seems like such a sweetheart. :)