Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Back in Nevada

I promised a picture of what I stitched on the airplane on Monday, but frankly I didn't do a lot. I was restless and moved from reading, to stitching, to watching the movie, to listening to my iPod, to stitching, to reading. I also found that the 11" x 11" inch Q-snaps are just a little to big to stitch comfortably on a plane, even in first class. I will stick to 8" x 8" Q-snaps for traveling from now on. Basically I just finished the green parts. I stitched the beginning of the tomato today...twice. At first I was two threads over to the left. I usually don't have to frog so much, but not this time. I thought that I would move back to Hawaiian Mandala when I got to Nevada, but I have decided to leave it be until next week. Tomorrow I want to gather up all the materials I will need to attend the quilting class on Saturday. If I am missing any supplies, I want to get them in plenty of time. So for a while I will just keep stitching on Rouge on and off during the day. In the evenings we are catching up on what we have TiVo'd and Netflix movies.

One of the pleasant surprises on coming back to Nevada are the packages that came in the mail while we were gone. I was very glad to see this Michael Powell kit from Stitching Bits and Bobs. I ordered it months ago and was afraid that I was going to have to harass them to send it to me. Now it will become my traveling stitching, although I am not planning another trip until we go to San Francisco at the end of March to hang the foundation show. I also got my Amazon UK order with the latest from Iain M. Banks and Jon Courtney Grimwood. Hooray!

Also in the mail were these two HUGE grab bag packages from an LNS that was going out of business. There are a ton of kits, patterns, beads, threads, fabric, stretcher bars, and needles in each package. I really haven't had time to evaluate it all, but I am sure I got ten times what I paid for it.

The only problem with a grab bag like this is that there is a lot there, especially patterns and kits that I will never use. Now I have to decide exactly how I am going to "recycle" these goodies to homes that will appreciate them. I don't need to sell them and I am not sure that I can give them all away equitably, so I am thinking about a swap, Trade for a Sheep. If you have any sheep patterns I don't have and you don't want, I'll trade a couple of these patterns for a sheep pattern. Of course this could be easier if I traded for Quaker patterns or samplers. :-) I just like the name, Trade for a Sheep. But that also means photographing and describing all of these before I trade them away. I'll need to think about this for a while. If anyone has any other ideas, I would be glad to hear them.

11 comments:

Chiasmata said...

Wow! That is the mother of all stash hauls. It must have felt like Christmas checking out all those bits and pieces too.

I'm a restless flyer most of the time. Luckily I've never been on a plane for more than 90mins!

Jennifer said...

Probably I'd just make a list of everything you don't want and post it on your blog along with a list of things you DO want - including fibers and fabrics. Let people look over what you got and make an offer - might be easier that way.

Barbara said...

I also have some patterns acquired in "lots" that I will never use. Haven't decided what to do with them, either. LOL!

Adrienne said...

I don't have any great suggestion for the lot o' patterns -- but the new Iain M Banks (Matter) is really good. The first 150 pages are a bit of a slog, imo, but it picks up nicely. Oh - and you can get it in the US now since Orbit launched a US based imprint with Little, Brown.

And that's probably more than you wanted to know. Sorry. :)

Dawn said...

Wow...lots of goodies in those grab bags! I have to agree with making a list of what you don't want and a list of what you would like to have idea.:)

Happy Valentine's day!

Geggie said...

Kathryn, I've been trying to contact you. You were a winner of my Pay it Forward contest last month. Can you please come visit my blog? www.geggieblog.blogpsot.com

Meari said...

Great stash! Which shop is going out of business?

Kim said...

I think I ordered from the same shop and had pretty much the same reaction. I'm trying to offload a couple of Christmas patterns... free to a good home, so check my blog and let me know if you're interested.

Beatrice said...

Wow that is some stash you have. Now to stitch it all. lol!!

tkdchick said...

Glad you got back home safely and had some lovely parcels waiting!

Ruth said...

Welcome home -- and to such a haul. Congratulations!