Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

This week’s SBQ was suggested by Kathryn and is:

Are there other crafts that you have tried and abandoned? Why do you like stitching better?

Well, since I asked this question, I better answer it. :-)

Crafts? Mmmm, I have some stamps (and even some embossing powder), but I have never really considered myself a stamper. I have a silk screen kit for t-shirts, but I have never used it. The same with my tie dye kit. I did do batik a long time ago and even used a purse I batiked for a long time, but I couldn't say where my wax and pipes are now. I have done one piece of stained glass, but that is an expensive hobby. My husband has been encouraging me for years to start metal sculpture just because he likes it. How crazy is that! I have made salt bread sculpture, but it was eaten by weevils. I am not much of a memorabilia saver (and have no children), so no scrapbooking here. All of these crafts take a lot of space or a lot of time and don't travel well.

I own a crochet hook, so I must have crocheted something in the past, but I have no idea what. It certainly wasn't anything as large as an afghan. I did knit a nine foot scarf in college for my then boyfriend. When we broke up, it came in handy waiting on the oh so cold El platform for the train in the dead of the Chicago winter. I have a lot of friends who knit, but I live in Las Vegas and Hawaii! When would I ever wear a sweater or socks? I don't even wear socks in Nevada in winter, though I do change from sandals to closed toe shoes. I even have a friend who does lace (and tries to teach all the rest of us). Too fiddly for me and when you frog you are unwinding YARDS.

I have made one quilt and am taking an art quilting class on the 16th. I am really looking forward to the class, but I don't know if I have the space and time to make a lot of quilts. I am not going to hand stitch or hand quilt anything. Machines rule! I do want to sew more things this year, but probably won't start much of anything until July. I've even been thinking about learning picture framing, so that I can frame some of my stitching. I have framed things previously, but I would have to buy a lot more tools to do this on a regular basis.

So I need a hobby (besides books and cooking) that can travel, is lightweight, doesn't take too many specialized tools, can be taken up and put down quickly (and left unfinished for years if need be) . . . Mmmmmmm, sounds like stitching to me. And it has fabric (my passion) and bright colors and, let's see, sheep!

6 comments:

Itching To Stitch said...

Good and funny observations of why you stitch. Thanks for making me smile so early in the morning ;)

Jennifer said...

Come see me. I awarded you. :-)

Ruth said...

Too funny! I'm with you -- though I must say I've never had weenils destroy a sculputre lol

Metal work because *he* likes it? lol Tell him to put down his camera and entertain himself. :)

Barbeeque4 said...

What a great answer!!!

Chiasmata said...

Sounds like you've dabbled in a lot of crafts. I can't imagine a 9ft scarf! I've considered getting into framing, but I just don't have the space for tools like that. Have fun with your quilting! A agree entirely about machines. :P

Meari said...

LOL, you sound like me. I have bits and bobs for various hobbies, too.