Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

This week’s SBQ was suggested by Rachel and is:

What is your cross stitch weakness? (i.e., What do you have to have when you see it, even if you are supposed to be on the Wagon?)

That's an easy one -- SALES. When I see items 10% or 20% or 30% off, I will succumb to buying something. Right now I am waiting for a package from Laurel's Stitchery in New Mexico. She is moving her ONS to Virgina and is having a sale to clear out existing stock. But I don't buy everything I can just because there is a sale. I usually have a plan in mind, even if when I get my order the plan goes out the window. This more often happens with sewing fabric as I will buy it thinking I will make a blouse or a purse or something and then put the fabric in a plastic tub to "mellow" for a while and later forget why I bought the fabric at all. I am a hopeless fabric junky. But for stitching, I might buy something from a favorite designer (Michael Powell, Mirabilia, Bent Creek, Lizzie Kate, Raise the Roof, or other more contemporary designers), something with sheep (what a surprise!), or something for a present (like the opossum I did for my mother-in-law). I used to have a severe Ebay habit, especially for threads, but I have one of all the DMCs and most everything from Rainbow Gallery except their very newest lines like Bamboo. I also object to Ebay's new policies and am boycotting them. So if I can just avoid the Sales signs, I can stay on the wagon. That's not likely, is it?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel your pain on the sales thing - they get me quite often too. I have a friend who often jokes if you put a sale sticker on it, or even better put it near the register with a sale sticker on it, chances are she'll buy it.

Ruth said...

Ahhh sales. That's how I lucked out/ended up buying 96 skeins of Sampler Thread limited editions. Sigh. They're great colors and I got them on sale..... famous last words.

Chiasmata said...

Lol! Sales are great aren't they? Just think of all the money you're saving! At least, that's how I like to think about it. I've developed quite a bit of self control lately, and sales don't really get to me that often. But clearance/end of line sells offs and auctions draw me in a bit. I guess it's the thought of loosing the oppertunity to buy...