Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another Goal Completed

At the start of the year, I made a list of goals. One of them was to stitch two ornaments from my extensive collection of Just Cross Stitch Ornament issues. Although I have not "finished" finished them, I now have two ornaments stitched and one partially stitched that I should finish this week.

In keeping with one of the March themes of Sheep in the Christmas Ornament SAL, I stitched Winter's Eve from Country Cottage Needleworks from the 2006 JCS Ornaments magazine. Of course, there were a few substitutions. :-) The most significant one is that the pattern called for Crescent Colours Blue Moon for the house and border. Not only won't I use Crescent Colours, but I found the pale blue house to be dull and boring. I was thinking about a brick red house, but when I took out my threads I was captivated by Weeks Dye Works Blackberry. And I have to say I enjoyed every stitch of this luscious color. It is good enough to eat. It does make the border stand out more than the pale blue did, but it's a worthwhile trade. I also traded B5200 (which for some reason I have a ton of, more than will fit in a Floss*A*Way bag) for the plain DMC White called for. And to make it extra authentic, I used Rainbow Gallery's Designer's Dream 100% wool for the sheep. I love working with this extra fine wool thread.

I also went to my favorite LNS, The Status Thimble in Burlingame, CA, yesterday to buy a replacement thread for Joy. I ended up with Weeks Dye Works Envy (and a lot of Needle Necessities that was marked down because it has been discontinued). And maybe a couple of sheep patterns jumped in my bag as well.

I am pleased that I have finished two of my nine goals for this year. Of course this leaves two big ones, Hawaiian Mandala (I only have to finish eight of twelve parts, but I haven't finished part one yet) and Bothy's Cut-Thru Rocket, which I won't start until late July. I also have a few sewing goals that I want to start on this week. Well, I better shut the computer down and get ready to go to the airport. Back to Nevada this evening.

10 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

"And maybe a couple of sheep patterns jumped in my bag as well." LOL! Maybe.

Jeanne said...

That ornament is adorable! Congrats on meeting another goal.

handgemacht said...

I like this design and your choice of colors too.

Dawn said...

Great finish! I love the house red instead of the blue:)

debijeanm said...

I LOVE your color changes on this ornament. Can't even imagine dull blue.

Barbara said...

Gotta toss my two cents in with everyone else's in saying that this color change REALLY works well! I'll have to pick up a skein of it - it's scrumptious!

Barbeeque4 said...

That is a super colour change!!! I will need to add that to my stock o'floss.

Itching To Stitch said...

Great ornament!! Love the red house ;)

Anonymous said...

Why do you not use Crescent Colors? My shop recommended it for a very large one color sample I want to do. Do they fade, shred, bleed, or what? Are their silks the same?

Mary in Tennessee

tkdchick said...

Lovely ornie!