Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Am Not a Gardener

In fact, I have no idea what this plant is. It's in our front yard and it is blooming. Very pretty, though. Notice the gravel. The West (of the United States) is defined as the part of the country that gets less than 10 inches of rainfall per annum. In Las Vegas we get 4 inches. And the humidity is usually around 10%, very dry. When we moved into this house the Home Owners Association insisted that all yards must be covered in grass. The Southern Nevada Water District will pay you $2 per square foot to remove grass. Eventually the HOA saw the error of their ways and allowed homes to remove the grass. We took all the grass out of the front yard. It faces west and gets scorching heat during the summer. We also removed the grass from the left side of the house, which has no windows facing it. Our water bill has gone down from insane to somewhat unreasonable.

We also have blooming rosemary in the back yard by the pool. It is blooming beautifully right now. But this is Nevada and I am in San Francisco right now. Foggy, chilly San Francisco. We have a very urban condo here, so having plants is not an issue. We are here so infrequently that it is totally impractical to keep even potted plants here.

But what I do have here are three kitted up Christmas Ornaments from the JCS 2006 magazine. I am set for the Stitch-A-Thon (and Christmas Ornament SAL) weekend and quite excited about these patterns. One has a sheep! I also brought Flower Fairy and am determined to finish some of her white dress. And because I would hate to run out of stitching, I also brought the Michael Powell Mini Christmas Windows II kit. Yes, there are some really nice LNSs here, but so far Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are totally booked from dawn to dark. And who knows what we will need to do on Sunday and Monday. On Tuesday it is back to Nevada.

I borrowed this meme from Barbara.

Four movies I’d watch again
  • His Girl Friday (1940) or any '30s or '40s comedy with snappy dialog. I also love The Palm Beach Story, My Man Godfrey, and The Thin Man.
  • Independence Day. OK, I know. It's a silly movie (so is Deep Rising and Serenity). I love those, too. I love a lot of science fiction novels, but very few movies.
  • Primal Fear. I love many, but not all, Richard Gere movies, but this movie has an amazing performance by Edward Norton. Edward Norton is such a terrific actor I would watch him reading the phone book.
  • Best In Show. No I never showed dogs. But I did raise and show cats for twelve years. When people say the exhibitors in this movie are unbelievably over the top, I say, "No, this is an honest and restrained documentary." I've known exhibitors much more eccentric. This is one movie where I literally ROFL.
Only four? I have dozens of five star movies on my Netflix list.

Four places I’ve lived

  • Christiansted, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
  • Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • Moss Beach, California, USA
Again, I could quadruple this list and still not mention them all.

Four TV shows I watch
  • The Wire (HBO)
  • Lost (ABC)
  • Heroes (NBC)
  • Mad Men (AMC)

Four places I’ve been
(I’m assuming this means been, but not lived)

  • Lake Toba, Sumatra, Indonesia
  • Odessa, Ukraine
  • Sao Paulo, Brazil
  • Gleneagles, Scotland, UK

Four things I love to eat

  • Foie Gras
  • Heirloom beets with goat cheese and walnuts
  • Grafton Farms Maple Smoked Cheddar Cheese
  • Sourdough bread, especially Grace Baking Sourdough Walnut and Beckmann's

Four places I’d rather be

  • Four Seasons Hotel, Bali
  • George Cinq Hotel, Paris
  • Plaza Hotel (overlooking Central Park), New York City
  • On a private sailboat in the Caribbean

Four things I look forward to

  • a successful Westercon in Las Vegas in July
  • our Seabourne cruise to Portugal, the Azores, Morocco, and Spain in October
  • losing another 50 pounds
  • joining the Century Club (100 countries visited. I'm up to 60+)

5 comments:

Barbara said...

WOW, your list rocks!! Sixty countries ... sigh. I was working on being something of a globe-trotter before having kids. Now I'll need to wait for retirement. LOL!

Jennifer said...

I've seen that flowering plant before, but cannot for the life of me remember what it is. Also, you REALLY get around, don't you? :-) Your passport gets quite the work out - I'm jealous!

tkdchick said...

Sniffle.. all of my plants are still under lots of snow!!! It dosen't feel like April is almost here!

Ruth said...

Well, I can't help you with the plant, but I like it. And your rosemary is lovely! I've never seen one blooking so heartily. Possibly in my area it's too damp.

60 countries makes my head spin. In a couple weeks my sister is off for 3 weeks in Bhutan and Nepal. Perchance I am just not that adventurous.

Here's to your other 40 countries and to a really great Westercon (and to my office getting a grip and paying me enough so I can attend *#$(&#&$^*@&#*().

Chiasmata said...

That's the way to garden. :) A lot of houses along my street have replaced their turf with native grasses and gums. But that might be more because they're all student rental houses, rather than water saving.

Sorry, I can't help you with the flower either.

Have fun with your SAT! I struggled with the whites on the Flower Fairy I stitched too.