Thursday, March 27, 2008

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

When you stitch a pattern that you have downloaded do you print out the pattern or do you stitch directly from your computer screen?

I don't think many of us stitch directly from the computer screen. Computer lighting and computer chairs are not very conducive to stitching. It's even somewhat uncomfortable to watch movies on a desktop computer screen because we are used to sitting back to watch and sitting forward to use a computer. Printers are cheap, even if the inks can be expensive. We even have two printers. I print on the cheap black and white printer as much as possible. That said, I rarely even save the computer files for freebie designs. I have so many files on my machines to keep track of that adding more will only make them forgotten. I don't download many freebies at all. If I do see one I like and it is a PDF, Firefox will open the PDF in a new tab in my browser. I print that directly and don't save anything on disk.

WARNING: The Weeks Dye Works Blackberry thread that I used for the house is a discontinued color. I bought ten skeins when I found that it (and several other colors I liked) were discontinued. I know there is some available in certain stores, but it might be a bit hard to find.

Mary from Tennessee was suggested by her LNS to use a lot of Crescent Colours threads for a BAP and now is concerned that she might be in for an unpleasant experience. All I can say is trust your own experience. Jo at Needleworker Not in Paradise is quite fond of Crescent Colours and uses them quite a lot. My first experience with them was with Warm Water Wash. I have to admit that I came into this project with a bad attitude. The ONS that I bought this from took FOREVER to send me the fabric and after all that wait, one of the threads was totally missing. I didn't want to get a replacement from them as I had had enough trouble just asking after my order. And I couldn't get a replacement thread from an LNS because the piece is in Maui. You are lucky to find expensive DMC in Maui, but forget about any specialty threads. And forget about ordering them from an ONS and getting them in less than a month. I just substituted a Six Strand Sweets that I had that was close enough. I found that the Crescent Colour threads I had were soft and knotted during every length. I was more disturbed by the fact that they were not nearly as variegated as was shown on the stitched model. If you go to this post and look at the sand castle you can barely make out the door and windows which seem very prominent in the model. When I went on to my next project using DMC threads, I was relieved that it was so much easier to stitch. It was was not my imagination that I had a ton of problems stitching with that batch of Crescent Colours. Now I am not saying that every batch of Crescent Colours is bad for your method of stitching. But I would certainly try a small sampler using these threads before I bought a ton of threads that I had never tried. I find NPI silk will always slip out of my needle's eye if I thread the needle normally. But if I anchor the thread in the eye as you would for metallic threads, I love stitching with it.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I actually do stitch off my PC screen because our printer and my laptop need marital counseling before they'll get together. ;) I don't like stitching this way, though.

In my experience, CC is a very soft thread that will fuzz easily. I have to work with it in short lengths. I've worked with worse, though.