Thursday, April 10, 2008

57%

I really wish that I had gotten that last motif at the bottom done before I left, but I didn't. Well, it will still be there when I get back. :-) I can see why people abandon Ch√Ętelaine Designs. Yes, they are lovely, but there is a lot of repetition. I do have the feeling that, "Come on, I've already stitched this motif! Don't you have anything different?" But that doesn't mean that I am going to abandon Hawaiian Mandala. I knew it would take a long time when I started it and am in for the long haul. I am just in awe of people who have finished (with beads!) the five parts that have already been published.

Just as a change of pace (and moving from 32 count to 28 count), I started the next motif on Rouge. When it is finished it will be a jar of strawberry jam. Yes, there are a lot of color changes in there, but it is pretty easy to follow. Again, I left this in Nevada and will get back to it when I return.

We are safely in Hawaii. The flights were uneventful, but I will never get used to getting up at 3 a.m. Even though I tried to get to bed early, I really didn't sleep much, which meant that when we got to the house here, I immediately fell into bed and slept all afternoon. There is now a three hour time difference between the West Coast and Hawaii, so maybe if I go to bed at midnight Hawaiian time, I will be ready to sleep.

We did decide to take the Hawaii Superferry to Oahu next week. We leave on next Wednesday and come back Friday morning. It only sails once a day each way, so we are pretty constrained on when we could go and come back. It's a four hour sail, so there should be plenty of time for stitching. And yes, I did start another small stitching project on the flight over today. I will post pictures tomorrow. I expect I might have it all stitched by this weekend.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm in awe of anyone who's finished Chatelaine... her designs are gorgeous, but they're so massive. And there's the repetition. And the beading. LOL!

Your stitching looks great, as always! :D

Dawn said...

Your Chatelaine is stunning!!

Doris said...

beutiful stitching,is amazing

Karen Chun, Maui said...

You seem like a really nice person. The Superferry is a subject of much controversy on Maui and we really wish you would not patronize it.

It refuses to slow down to the safe speed limit in the Humpback Whale sanctuary.

It is responsible for pushing Hawaiian cultural activities out of Kahului Harbor.

On Kaua'i the people were so upset that they went into the water and allowed themselves to be charged with heavy jail and fines in order to prevent the Superferry from docking.

Please re-consider your trip. Airplanes are cheaper (in terms of fuel per passenger, dollars and time) and you won't get seasick. Even on calm days passengers get seasick. On normal days more than half are so sick they stay sick even after they get back on land.

Please support Hawaiian culture and boycott the Superferry.

Thanks!

Karen Chun
SaveKahuluiHarbor.com

Sherry said...

Gosh I am in awe at your talent. I cannot even begin to figure out how to cross stitch on such a small count linen. I've looked at it and simply realized that I don't have a clue. Directions in books don't seem to explain how to count over these threads. :(

Kathryn said...

You, Karen Chun, are the problem and NOT the SuperFerry. The only whale damaged by a boat in Hawaiian Waters was hit by a boat from the Pacific Whale Foundation. The SuperFerry would be a fantastic alternative to airlines for the handicapped and small businesses if it was not harassed by limited growth people like you. The majority of people on Kaua'i WANT the SuperFerry, but were rudely shouted down by the hundreds of ill mannered protesters who didn't even let the governor speak.

I support Hawaiian culture by paying taxes, buying local and talking about the beauty of Hawaii every day. You want to force Hawaiians to the mainland by limiting growth, stopping building (and keeping the price of housing high), and destroying jobs.

If you want to help Hawaiian culture, pick your battles. Allow more housing to be built, but fight for equivalent open space. Build more roads to fight congestion and the waste of fuel idling in traffic. Save the beaches and forests, but encourage local businesses. A limited economy means an economy only for the wealthy.