Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tree!

I finished the tree (and all the tangly Crescent Colours thread). There is just the red star on top, the green band, the red border, and a bunch of over eight stars to finish. I need to pick a more complex design next time. Just filling in swaths of the same color is pretty boring.

Maybe I could have stitched a bit more yesterday if I had not spent six hours on the phone with DirecTv. We have been having satellite reception problems since we got back from Hawaii. Yesterday there was no reception at all, so we called -- a half a dozen times. They sent some sort of code to our receiver and viola! channels again. Oops, only half the channels we should have. OK, more codes sent and now we have all the channels we should have. Except this is a DVR (digital video recorder, like a VCR) and it would not record at all. Another call. When I unplugged the unit to restart it, no channels again. Despite unplugging and replugging the Satellite In cable, and changing the output on the dish at the multiswitch; nothing. All the while they are suggesting that we upgrade to their newer receiver (which is the focus of lots of anger about buggy software on DirecTv forums). But we were left with no choice. I've ordered a new receiver/DVR but not from DirecTv. I will have to have DirecTv come out and replace our satellite dish. Luckily the only television that we watch on a regular basis is Lost, and we can see it on abc.com. If this doesn't work, our only alternatives are Cox Cable or the internet. I wonder if the networks understand that they are losing customers because for a lot of people television technology is too expensive and too complex. People just want to plug their television into a power plug and turn it on. My husband often wonders how people less technology knowledgeable than us manage at all in this complex technology universe.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Your tree is looking really good. I agree, large blocks can be so boring and it's just so hard to keep going.

Today after many years, we are switching off the pay TV for good. I am sick of seeing the same shows repeated every six months for the last few years. A bit better service from the operators would go a long way!

Barbara said...

I also wonder about the less technology-able people ... particularly the elderly.

Your tree looks great! I also find doing large blocks of color to be boring.

Itching To Stitch said...

Your Christmas piece is coming along nicely. Sorry about all the trouble with your TV, I hate to waste time on the phone like that ;)

Ruth said...

Well, speaking for the waaaay less tech savvy folks out there, we aren't functioning. Hey, you're talkign to the girl who can't plug the DVD player she got given years ago in becuase her TV is too old to have more than one input slot and that's dedicated to the godforsaken cable.

Sorry Crescent is continually ruining your stitching time, but that tree is looking great!

Sonda in OR said...

I know what you mean about big swaths of color...I've put off doing some of the LK designs that I really like because of it...

Lelia said...

Oh, your tree looks very nice. Sorry to hear about your tv issues. It really should not be that complicated. It is just tv!!!