Sunday, May 4, 2008

Christmas Joy Finished

This is Christmas Joy by Angel Stitchin from the JCS Ornament 2006 issue. I made a lot of changes. The linen is a darker 28 count linen, because I wanted the snowflakes to stand out better than they did on lambswool. For the white, the recommended thread was WDW Snowflake (4125, not 2220 as printed). I used DMC B5200 for the single stitches and Rainbow Gallery Tiara T117 for the large snowflakes to give them some more sparkle. The letters are GAST Black Crow, instead of WDW Mascara (3910, not 1279). because I have some on hand that I am trying to use up. The red is WDW Turkish Red (2266) which I had on hand rather than GAST Cherry Wine (0330). The tree trunk is just DMC 435 rather than Crescent Colours Roasted Chestnut. No need for a variegated thread for just a few stitches. The green border is actually the recommended GAST Pine (120) which I had on hand. And the tree is the recommended Crescent Colors Jolly Holly which I had to order. I should have used DMC 435 instead. The pattern is still cute, but there is too much monotonous stitching with the same colors. I think I am about done with Christmas until November. However, I should stitch one more ornament for May since I am a featured stitcher on Christmas Ornament Stitch-Along. I think I can find a good pattern with candles or candy canes. I love candy canes.

I might not get in any more stitching this week. I have a hundred projects that I have been avoiding for the past month and now they are all looming over me at once. A huge project is catching up on email, especially email on Westercon programming. I also have several packages of snail mail which need to be posted post haste. Then there is the jungle of the sewing room to tame, an interview with Tim Powers to prepare for, the DirecTv unit to replace, laundry to be done, and a myriad of messes small and large to be put to rights. Not to mention that starting tomorrow it is my week to cook. I think much take out is on the horizon. Here's hoping that your projects go smoothly and quickly. Have a good week!

9 comments:

Itching To Stitch said...

Congratulations on a really cute finish ;)

Suzanne said...

This is a great finish, well done! I really love the colours.

Ruth said...

Taming a whole room, eh? Suonds like an adventure not for the faint of heart. Lord knows I can't tame a room to save my life!

All of your changes **made*** the ornie! Congrats on a lovely piece. Now on to the candy cane.... maybe a sheep with a candy cane? :) Best of both worlds? lol

I have a small box to send you and apparently I got excessively tidy and moved your addy out of my wallet. I specifically remember NOT doing that because it was a bad idea. I guess my doppleganger decided to put it somewhere "safe" while I was sleeping..... probably it's in one of the I'll-just-clean-my-wallet-out=for-this-trip baskets that "decorate" my shelves. Anyway, if you could shoot me an email rbehling1916 at yahoo

thanks!!!!

Say, what are you interviewing Powers for? inquiring minds.....

Jeanne said...

This came out really nice! The changes you made really enhance the piece, particularly going to the darker linen and using some sparkle. Looking forward to the next ornie!

Giovanna said...

Very nice ornament, you stitched it beautifully - congratulations!

Barbara said...

Laundry to do and a Tim Powers interview to prepare ... sounds EVER so much more glamorous than just laundry. Will the interview be published? I'm pretty sure I read Drawing of the Dark as well as The Anubis Gates, but I'll have to get up to the library to make sure.

Your ornament came out great!

ImnVerted said...

Your ornie looks great. I have the same mag and dont recall seeing that one.

Great job

Sonda in OR said...

Looks great!!!

Susan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog (and commenting!), Kathryn. Your Christmas Joy is lovely!