Monday, June 2, 2008

A Fast Start

Now that I have finished Summer Ewe, I thought I could add another start to my semi-rotation. Sure, I could have stitched Hawaiian Mandala or Rouge, but I am getting a bit bored with both of them. Usually I would pick out something small to stitch while traveling, but we are not flying again until July 9, so I could start something a bit larger.

In order to try to stick to my 2008 Stitching Goals, I looked at what I have left on the list. Sewing projects? Nope, no time right now to set up the sewing machine. I have to grab minutes here and there. Bothy's Cut Thru Rocket? Nope, that is a a BAP. I am not going to even start it until July or later. An exchange or RR piece? Nope, I did not plan to join a group until after July. Finish the plastic canvas Christmas ornaments? NO! Is anyone else out there just a little tired of stitching Christmas things? Which leaves stitching another Michael Powell piece. If I wasn't so DONE with Christmas right now, I would have started Mini Christmas Window II. I did love Mini Christmas Window I, but no Christmas for a while. I have some of his Venetian kits and some of his cottage kits.

So this is the start of Cottage Garden I. I think you can tell that I am absolutely in love with this piece, because I am flying through stitching it. There are four pages to this piece. Instead of starting in the middle as instructed, I thought I might try to stitch each page in order. I carefully measured out to the top left hand edge and put a dark thread there to mark the place to start. I am so impressed with everyone who has these perfectly square panels stitched one at a time. But I can tell I will never be able to keep to such straight borders. I know when I finish all the blue sky on this page, if I have sky thread still in the needle, I will slip over to the next page and take a few stitches there until the sky thread is gone. It's going to take immense will power not to work on this all the time until it is done.

But I have been working on the convention also. I have most of the participants entered in the database. Next comes the fun part. Coming up with topics for them to talk about. We have a hotel meeting on Thursday afternoon to nail down the last bits of operational questions. Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

LOL at dates on the calendar are closer than they appear. Now wouldn't that make an excellent (and appropriate) cross stitch project?!

Anonymous said...

I love Michael Powell designs!
Good choice! hahaha!
Take care


Gayle~~~flosswoman112yahoo.com

Jeanne said...

Kathryn,
This is a lovely start. You may actually be better off to continue onto page two instead of having a solid line at the edge of page 1. I've seen some pieces stitched on a grid (by 10x10 blocks or by pages), and it's sometimes obvious on the finished piece because of the way the stitches pull at the edges of the blocks.

I look forward to seeing more of this!

Ruth said...

OMG "Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear" should be emblazoned on EVERY calendar page! It's so dang true.

Congrats on the new start. I'm very impressed with the heavy thought that went into picking it. :)

Chiasmata said...

Beautiful new start. I love stitches with nice block of colour. There's one surefire way to make yourself stitch in neat page blocks - only have your current page with you! If the rest of 'em a packed away somewhere awkard there's less temptation to keep stitching outside the page border. That's what I'm doing with The Lookout and my HAED.

Suzanne said...

I love Summer Ewe, it's a great finish and this new design looks like it's a lovely colour.

Itching To Stitch said...

Very pretty start ;)