Monday, June 30, 2008

Meeting Up

When you are working on a circular motif, it is always a relief to find that the last stitches that complete the circle exactly meet up next to the first stitches. I finished the last diagonal motif (the one that Chiasmata calls the peacock feathers) and moved on to the last mostly beaded (and therefore mostly empty) motif at the very top. There were two C stitches at the top already stitched, but the two C stitches I put next to them lined up exactly. Moreover the wavy line of ░ matched up perfectly to the purple scroll of the next peacock motif.


You can see how little I have to finish in the top motif, though there is still a lot of gold crosses to complete around the edges, not to mention the 24 Algerian stitches in the peacock motifs.

I did print out the Part Two directions. Part Two is just four pineapple motifs that fit around the north, east, south, and west points. There is not nearly as much stitching as I have done on Part One, but what there are are HUGE Algerian stitches for the pineapples and tons of Jessica stitches for the flowers under the pineapples. The most interesting thing about the next part is the complete color change -- from blues to yellows, oranges, and leaf greens. I'm glad I checked Part Two first. The overlap of part one on Part Two shows gold cross stitches completely around the outside except for the cardinal points. Skipping two gold stitches near the indents was apparently a mistake. I'm glad that I can fill them in as I go rather than have to go back and put each one in individually.

I didn't think I would get so much stitching done when I am also working on the convention, but sometimes (like when another program participant cancels) I just need to walk away and stitch. It also turns out that CalTrans will be blasting I-15 (the ONLY road from Los Angeles to Las Vegas) on Tuesday and Wednesday, requiring a complete shutdown of the road. If their schedule is correct, they will be doing this from 7 am to 9 am about 20 miles from the Nevada border. Even if the truck leaves LA at 8 am, they wouldn't get to that part of the road until noon. And you thought that all we had to worry about was crazy members and stubborn hotel staff! Today is a FULL day -- pick up the program books, print out the Pocket Programs, buy the goodie baskets and the office supplies and maybe start thinking about what we have to pack for the convention. I know I have to bring copies of Kage Baker's books and the Hugo Nominees. Tomorrow is a pre-pre-con hotel meeting and the unpacking of the mail-in art. Wednesday we MOVE IN and won't be back here until Monday morning. I hope everyone has a great Fourth of July.

8 comments:

Andie said...

Absolutly beautiful.... darn it... now I'm gonna have to get it lol

Daffycat said...

I know exactly what you mean about meeting up! I hate it when it doesn't and you have to study and study and count to find where you screwed up! The colors are so pretty so far...I'm looking forward to seeing how the new ones look!

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

Isn't it wonderful when the project does work and you can breathe a sigh of relief! :-)

The colors in the Hawaiian Mandala are just beautiful and I'm enjoying seeing your progress on this piece.

I just can't help thinking, this is only the first section! Oh my!!!

I'm still considering ordering Egypt Garden as these designs are just so beautiful!

Hope you are having a great time at the convention and that no one else cancels!

Hopefully you'll see some fireworks from where you are and not inside the convention! :-)

Have a wonderful Fourth of July!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Barbara said...

It's stunning. As for meeting up, that's something that always makes me hold my breath a bit ... with a design like this, I'd probably be a nervous wreck! LOL!!

Sonda in OR said...

It looks wonderful! This is probably the Chatelaine design I would be most likely to do. Great work on yours!

Meari said...

Those colors are great, Kathryn. It looks good!

Itching To Stitch said...

So glad everything matched up. I get nervous about that too, and usually for good reason ;)

Isabelle said...

This is beautiful, Kathryn!