Tuesday, June 10, 2008

OK, I Give Up

I do like stitching this design because I like the colors, the fabric and I know it will be beautiful when I finish. But I am still frustrated by all the errors in the pattern. I haven't stitched the left chimney because the model shows a line of p -- medium gray, stitched as a shadow along the edge of the roof and the pattern shows no such shadow, but just pure white for all the chimney until you get below the roof. Since there is a shadow on the chimney below the roof, but not above it I think it will look odd.

The other pattern flaw comes at the base of the tall tree. There is much more trunk against the chimney on the model than there is on the pattern. It even looks like a slightly different brown thread for the part that is missing. So you have to decide where to stitch the trunk and what to stitch it with. And speaking of the thread on the trunk, there are two small patches on the roof of that same thread. They seem to be much darker than the same patches on the model. But I think I will leave them, as the roof is certainly pretty mottled. What is still driving me crazy are the diamonds (Garnet) that are charted for the chimney pots and lots of places on the roof. I have definitely substituted for the garnet on the roof as I know that would stand out ridiculously.

So I just stitched a large part of the sky. It is easy and noncontroversial. However, I think I will move back to Hawaiian Mandala when I start stitching again. That may not be until next week. James is in San Francisco for the next few days and I have a ton of work for the convention to do while he is gone. We are also holding a pool party for the convention staff at our house on Sunday, so there is a bunch of planning for that to get done. I'll be back later.

4 comments:

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

So sorry that you have troubles with this design.

Maybe it's time to put it away for a while and see if it's better in the future.

Have you tried writing/emailing the company to see if they have an updated chart which might make the stitching easier?

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Itching To Stitch said...

Sorry you're having difficulty with this piece. Sometimes putting it away for a while and then taking it out again gives you the motivation to look at it more clearly ;)

Chiasmata said...

Ick, I've never seen such a dodgy chart. Even the ones in CrossStitcher aren't that muddled! I'd certainly contact the kit company and let them know how you feel.

Barbara said...

I have a pattern like this that's driving me insane. I started it about 3 years ago and still haven't finished it becuase the errors are so irritating!