Saturday, June 21, 2008

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week

Today’s SBQ is:

Do you currently subscribe to any stitching publications or have you in the past? (Either in print or online) If so, which ones?

Well, no. The only sewing magazines I have a subscription to are Threads and Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. They are more eye candy than actual project inspirations. But I certainly have a lot of cross stitch magazines for all that. I got started collecting Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornaments in 2002. I spent a lot of time on Ebay getting all the back issues, some back to the '80s, though then they were just Christmas issues and not specifically ornaments. I also picked up a lot of other Just Cross Stitch copies and The Cross Stitcher, but I can't say I have stitched anything but an ornament from them. Everyone should have the June, 1999, copy of The Cross Stitcher with the Angel of Cross Stitching by Joan Elliott, incorporating all 391 DMC colors in it. It's beautiful to see, even if probably a nightmare to stitch. I am also fond of some of the English cross stitch magazines, but only buy them from newstands. My latest was CrossStitcher, April, 2008, which I bought because it had some Margaret Sherry kittens, a colorful girl on a swing, and a measuring device for gauging fabric. I've been running into mislabeled count on fabric from time to time and wanted a gauge to double check before I start stitching. I have also bought a number of French cross stitch magazines when I was in Paris. I try to limit my purchases though. If I have so many patterns that I will never have enough time to stitch, buying a dozen more seems like insanity.

The programming and designing the program book ran into a huge problem. On Wednesday I had a bout of e. coli (or salmonella?). I was desparately trying to solider through, but was spending more time in the bathroom and in bed than in front of the computer. Have you ever worked on problem even though you know you are too sick to accomplish much? I kept trying to tell myself it wasn't too bad, but after three days of eating virtually nothing, I really had to give up and just sleep. I felt well enough today to have some Chinese for lunch, so I guess I am recovered. Now I need to finish all this off before Monday morning, so I can get this into the printers. It was due last Wednesday, but they had some slack and we had some slack, so everything should be fine even though I am late. Strangely enough I did get some stitching done last night on Mandala. I'll take another picture and post my progress on Monday, AFTER I turn the Program Book into the printers. I hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

4 comments:

Miss 376 said...

I used to have so many stitching magazines, but you just can't do everything. Have managed to reduce a lot by selling on Ebay, funnily enough, but have kept some as they contain projects I'm definitely going to do. I just don't look at them now as I do enjoy looking through them and dreaming, but sometimes a girl just has to be sensible. Hope the book gets in ok

Chiasmata said...

I buy CrossStitcher every month (once it finally arrives over here), but about half the time there's nothing inside that I really want to stitch. But I do enjoy flipping through them when I'm too tired or lazy to stitch.

I hope you're feeling much better now and the book is soon off on its way to the printers. One less thing to worry about!

zetor said...

I used to have a subscription to 'The World of Cross stitching' a few years ago, but didn't renew it. There are quite a few that I buy randomly, 'Classic Inspirations'(from Australia, I think)and 'Classic Stitches' are among my favourites.

Frontrange Stitcher said...

I have several years of "Classic Stitches" and every issue of "NeedlepointNow" as well as issues dating back to 1982 of "Needlepointers". I am constantly referring to all my magazines for inspiration and ideas and have them readily available in my stash room.