Wednesday, June 4, 2008

When Charts Go Wrong

As you can see, I am having fun with this pattern. The colors are lovely and the pattern is fairly easy to follow. I have not followed the edge of the page, though. Jeanne mentioned that having a hard edge of stitching can be noticed in the final project. I can already see a difference in the right hand sky where I started stitching again. Although if I did not love the design so much, this would definitely be a UFO. Why?

Well, first the pattern does not match the model. The three colors (seen here rolled) used in the rooftop are shown in the model as the same colors on the chimney pots. But the pattern (shown in yellow diamonds) says to use Garnet (the unrolled darker red). Although I have seen chimney pots this color, this dark red is used later on in the garden. If I did use Garnet here I think it would call too much attention to the chimney pots instead of matching the roof. I am going to follow the colors in the model, but I don't know which shade of copper to use yet. This is a minor matter, since I am pretty used to making color changes in patterns.

But the part of the pattern that IS driving me crazy is the use of Z and z for different colors in adjacent areas. Yes, the orange outlining I did on this picture of the pattern is for Z, the middle copper color in the previous picture. | is used for the darkest copper color. The symbol z is supposed to be a blend of the middle and lightest copper colors. If you look really, really carefully, you will see that I used Z for all of the top edge of the roof. I was stitching late at night and at first didn't notice that these were two different colors. The lower random bits stitched are actually z. I am not going to rip out the right side of the top row for only a slight color change. Doesn't anyone double check patterns for craziness like this?

6 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I hate when patterns use symbols that are similar right next to each other. Grrr. Your stitching looks great so far.

Suzanne said...

Your stitching looks great. I hate when there are obvious errors in the pattern and when similar symbols are used. It can make stitching so difficult, especially at night.

Chiasmata said...

Ouch, that's a pretty unfriendly chart. It annoys me when models use different colours to what you're provided with. I guess that's the beauty of avoiding kits. The Z/z thing must be very frustrating too. The HAED I'm stitching has < and > near each other, which is confusing enough, little own the same symbol with different sizes.

Itching To Stitch said...

Oh, that big Z and little z would drive me crazy. I wonder too sometimes what designers are thinking when they come up with symbols, sometimes they're so similar to each other that I've OFTEN stitched an incorrect color because of it ;)

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

So sorry to hear that you are having problems with the charting.

What I have troubles with is when they use / type symbols for different threads. One might be wiggly and the next might have edges on it, etc. These can be very difficult to see, especially late at night.

The piece is looking great so far and you are such an experienced stitcher it will turn out well, even if you do get frustrated. Hang in there and soon you will be celebrating another finish!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving nice comments!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Virpi said...

I have had charts with similiar problems and tha is really annoying. I would inform the producer so maybe they can do something about their patterns in the future.