Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Food Glorious Food

I seem to be obsessed with taking pictures of food. Maybe it's because of all the food I'm seeing on blogs participating in NaBloPoMo. It started yesterday with our lunch at Haliimaile General Store. I missed taking a picture of the appetizer of Asian Duck Tostada, but kicked in with my lunch of Wild Grilled Salmon with Garlic Spinach, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Grape Tomatoes and Lemon Dill Mayonnaise. Yes, it was just as delicious as it looks. Though the portions there are generous, so James ate half the salmon and the crisp tortillas were only nibbled at.

James, on the other hand, was craving a burger and what better burger to eat than a Kobe Burger on a Brioche bun with the perfect tomato, White Cheddar Cheese and Hand Cut Fries?

To go along with all that luciousness, they presented the perfect condiments -- homemade ketchup, homemade mayonnaise, and Dijon mustard. Aren't they pretty? I will be thinking of them the next time I grab the leaky Heinz ketchup bottle from the refrigerator door.

It all ends with the perfect dessert. Fresh, Grilled Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I must admit I have had more good Pineapple Upside Down Cake in Maui than anywhere else, It doesn't hurt to have it topped with homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

To end, a photographic confection. I don't know if this picture will even be visible on your computer. But I had trouble sleeping last night. At about 3 am I saw the moon lighting a path on the Maui Channel. I used a tripod and an 8 second exposure to get this shot, but needed a LOT of fiddling in Photoshop to get a recognizable image. Too bad that cameras do not have the light range of the human eye. This was really, really lovely.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

It makes me hungry just looking at it. And I love how the condiments are presented. Now I'm thinking what a great idea that would be to keep an eye out for little dishes similar to that because how cool would it be to do that at home?

Barbara said...

Darn you, Kathryn, I drooled all over my keyboard and now it's all wet and sticky!

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

OK, now I'm hungry! And it's mid-morning here and I have a slice of standard pizza to look forward to for lunch. Sigh...

The photo of the moon is beautiful and I can see the palm tree shadows. Wouldn't this be pretty stitched?

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

debijeanm said...

Fabulous job on the moonscape photo! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us! (And the food looks fantastic, too, for different reasons.)

debijeanm said...

Fabulous job on the moonscape photo! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us! (And the food looks fantastic, too, for different reasons.)

Meari said...

LOL, Did anyone wonder why you were taking pics of food at a restaurant? It does look good!

I have to ask... What is NaBloPoMo?

Ruth said...

Oh man, I am so all over that salmon! Then again the burger doesn't look half bad. Wow.

Love the sunset. I wonder why it is ya'll came back to the mainland? Maybe it helps you appreciate all the niftiness?

Say, I sent you a question re: Denvention.... just wonderings.

Carol R said...

Great photos especially the "moon' one!