Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Stitching Progress

I better post a Before picture since I haven't worked on this pattern since December, 2007. This is Flower Fairy (specifically Lily of the Valley), a DMC kit that I started last year. I started it because of Project Spectrum, a Flickr group that picked three colors to concentrate on for inspiration every two months. April and May of 2007 were green, yellow, and pink. But even though I liked the discipline of working in a limited color palette, two months is never enough time to finish a medium sized cross stitch project unless you do nothing but stitch. So when May was over I moved to the next three colors and only sporadically stitched this. It is small enough to travel with, but too high a count (32) to stitch on an airplane. Still when it is done it will be lovely.

Since I was in quite a hurry when I left for Westercon, I just grabbed my travel bag. This was the only kitted up piece in it, so on Sunday night I got it out again and started stitching. I wanted to finish at least the top half of the pattern (down to the top of the wings), so I concentrated on the face and hands. I'm not sure why I didn't do them before since they were fairly small areas. I didn't even mind the small count since Hawaiian Mandala is the same count and the same "counting every stitch to keep your place". Then I started back on the white dress and remembered why I had put this aside. I can stitch green and blue all day, but two of three needlefuls of white and off white and light beige and ecru and I want anything with color. I guess that is why a lot more of the greenery and the wings are stitched than the dress. But I worked on it Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday and did get some progress. I will even work on it in the next two weeks. I probably should go back and get some of that backstitching done. There is a ton of it.

We leave for the airport in a couple of hours. First to San Francisco where James has meetings, then Maui on Friday. I'm not going to try to stitch on the SF flight. It is just too short, but I will have something else kitted up for the flight to Maui. Now I am like Ruth and am taking a large chunk of my stitching closet with me. I don't know if I will start Bothy's Cut-Thru Rocket, but I can't stitch it on the plane (too large) or in the evening (stitched on dark navy opalescent fabric). I just might have a sheep or two around here to keep me company. See you again tomorrow with some stash.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh, Kathryn, this is so gorgeous!!

Chiasmata said...

It's nice to see flower fairy again. I don't like stitching lots of white either. Stitching white on white is futile, and stitching white on colour is frustrating as the stitches always play up on me. She'll look beautiful when she's finished, they have a lovely illustrated look.

Ruth said...

The fairy is lovely, but I am soooo with you on white, ecru, cream, etc. At the most I'd be two needles of white (cut kinda short) one of green/pink, 2 needles of white,....

Safe travels off to Maui. I'm heartened to know that as I leave my "paradise" I can look forward to seeing pics of yours. :)

Sonda in OR said...

She does look lovely!! I, too, can't stand a lot of white.

Meari said...

That looks really good, Kathryn.