This Part is going much faster than Part One. I have started on four of the eight leaves that sit at the bottom of the pineapples. One leaf is almost done as soon as I stitch the last Jessica stitch.
Oh, those Jessica stitches! I don't think any of them are exactly correctly stitched, but they seem close enough. Besides when I put a bead in the center of them, it will be hard to tell if I put all the threads in the right holes. I'd rather be stitching Algerian eyelets again. The half stitches are also tricksy. Usually they are all in the same direction, but these change directions on each leaf. AND the instructions say to stitch them with one thread. I don't mind that when there a dozen or more to do, but there a just seven half stitches in Waterlilies Jade (066) per leaf and they are all interior stitches. So I am not going to go back and stitch those seven with one thread when I have a needle loaded with two threads. In a design this big, I really don't think it matters.
Next I have to tackle the Rhodes Stitches on the pineapple. First I have a confusing mess of confetti and quarter stitches around the Rhodes. Even enlarged, the chart is pretty hard to read in these squares because there are so many backstitching lines. Then the instructions say to stitch the Rhodes with a simple five stitch pattern, but the chart shows a much more dense nine stitch pattern. I'll have to stitch one and see if five stitches will give enough coverage.
I don't mean to sound as if this pattern is too difficult for an average stitcher. I was a little intimidated by it when I put the first stitches in the center of that 29" square cloth. But I choose to do a Big A** Project and I am happy on how great it looks, even now. There are just some technical challenges that I actually am enjoying. If I really wanted stitching that makes me crazy, I can always pull out my 129 square needlepoint teaching pumpkin with the dozens of orange threads in 129 different patterns!