Friday, August 1, 2008

Some More Hare

As you can see, more letters, more borders, and more hare. There I was. Peacefully stitching his body back and forth, back and forth, and then the needles ran away from me and I was off the reservation. Do you often have a plan of what you are going to stitch and then suddenly you just have to stitch something way over on the other side of the piece? Or you are calmly stitching letters, when a flower calls your name? Maybe I just wanted to stitch his edges because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into the border just below him. Maybe that was just an excuse not to stitch back and forth and back and forth. He's not going to be done in July, but he is pretty certainly going to be finished in August.

I got this much done because I was sitting and waiting for some friends from the Bay Area to arrive. They did, but not until 3 am. I was asleep, but James stayed up to let them in. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but then they slept until 3 pm this afternoon. We were waiting for them to get up in order to get some food. Boy was I hungry when we finally got to Lucille's (a tremendously delicious BBQ place). And they are going to have to leave again on Sunday. That's a long drive for a short visit. But we also have a long drive ahead of us on Monday. We are heading for Denver, but stopping in Grand Junction, Colorado, and arriving in Denver on Tuesday. We have our books for the trip, The Roadside Geology of Utah and the Roadside Geology of Colorado. On previous trips we have covered New Mexico, Arizona, and Southern California. I read out loud while James drives. Luckily they are organized along the major highways, with plenty of pictures.

I still have to organize the dozens of books I want signed at Denvention (the World Science Fiction Convention). This is a chance to get autographs from lots of east coast and European authors you never see on the West Coast, like Charles Stross and Ian McDonald. I am starting to get excited to see them and all of my friends that I never see except at conventions. You might be amazed at all the stitching that goes on in the panel audiences (OK, and some knitting, too. But it is hard to knit a dragon.). Hope everyone has a glorious and productive weekend.

9 comments:

debijeanm said...

Rising from the Plains by John McPhee was highly recommended to us and I bought the whole series for my husband for Christmas one year. I got a little way into ...Plains, got interrupted and left all the books at the condo. When we finally got back in June (after the flood) one was kind of moldy so we pitched it but this one seems OK. It's about the geology along the 80 (Rockies and Wyoming). If you've read it, I'd be interested in your impression since the man who suggested it has rather "different" taste in books.

We traveled from Las Vegas through Southern Utah (warning: when the sign says "no services for 110 miles," it means it) in summer of 1974 and stayed the night in Grand Junction. The 2 am temp was in the high 80s. Larry still laughs about me curled up in the front seat asleep on the way to Vail. Apparently my waking words were, "I'm either burning my ass off or freezing my ass off." We'd gone across Utah in the 110s (no AC), then were up near Vail and it was in the early morning 50s.

Hope you have a terrific trip! Looking forward to "hearing" all about it.

Sharon said...

Nice progress on our hare piece!

debijeanm said...

I had the same reaction to Encounters with the Archdruid. There seems to be a whole genre (a whole culture?) that thinks disjointedness is "art." But the subject matter (David Brower) was fascinating and I'm hoping to get past McPhee's style to find the fascination of the geology in ...Plains. I do love driving the 80 across Wyoming.

Sherry said...

Your stitching is coming along beautifully!

Itching To Stitch said...

Your piece is coming along well. Thanks for the encouraging words you left on my blog, I appreciate them ;)

Chiasmata said...

I know what you mean with the stitching. Rachel commented on my blog that she called it 'stitcher's ADHD', and that sounds pretty true to me. I was like that a lot with Tempest. I really needed to finish the teacup... but I wanted to stitch the tail! Or the border.

Have fun in Denver! I'd never have thought of stitching during a panel, but you're right! You can't knit a dragon.

stitcherw said...

Very cute, you've made great progress. Sometimes I stitch row by row, but other times I hop around too. If a color or a section of a design calls to me I'll go there. Other times I'll go around the outline of an area so that I just need to fill it in and not worry about counting later.

Have a great time at the convention, it sounds like lots of fun. I love SciFi (the kind that leans more heavily on the fantasy end).
Sue

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

I'm laughing at the image of the needles running away trailing floss in their wake!

You are making progress and while you are stitching letters, the Hare will start calling again. :-)

Hope you are having a great time in Denver and I'm picturing you and Ruth at a panel both stitching away! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Sonda in OR said...

I do that, too, let me needles jump around on the design. Especially when I'm getting nervous that I might have miscounted. Sometimes it saves me, sometimes it sinks me.

BTW love the hare!