Monday, August 18, 2008

A Successful Weekend

And here is the completely stitched Part One. No beads and gems yet, but much of the work is done. Including the thirty six Algerian eyelets . . . in 32 count.




I was somewhat worried about stitching them, but they turned out fine. They were more tedious than difficult. And once that was done, on to Part Two!!

This part should not take six months as there are are only four pineapples and a lot of border to stitch. The biggest hurdle is moving the fabric on the Q-snaps so that I can stitch the top and bottom motifs. Oh, and more specialty stitches. Four dozen Jessicas and Five dozen Rhodes Stitches for the Pineapples. And a ton of backstitching in this part. There wasn't much backstitching at all on the last part. I am considering moving this project to scroll bars, but I really like how lightweight the Q-Snaps are. Maybe I should be stitching this on a floor stand, but I can guarantee if I had to use a floor stand, it would only get stitched on rarely.

The next part has an entirely different color palette; all greens and oranges and reds. Unlike some people, I love stitching greens, so this part is fun. Later there will be parts all in red and black (volcanoes) and plenty more blues and greens. Not many beads in this part either.

I said I would move on to another project when I finished Part One, but I am enjoying stitching this so much, that I will probably continue on. James leaves for San Francisco and Honolulu tomorrow for a week, so I will have hours to quietly stitch. Though I am also looking forward to getting out the sewing machine, so maybe it will be finishing and sewing and not much stitching. Hope everyone has a great week!

11 comments:

Kendra said...

36 Algerian Eyelets on 32 count. Wow...are you blind yet? LOL

Part 1 looks great! Can't wait to see the different colors of Part 2.

Suzanne said...

Wow, congratulations on finishing part 1. I always love doing Algerian Eyelets, then after the first dozen or so I get really bored.

I look forward to seeing part two.

suequeblue said...

What beautiful color-you've done a great job!

You inspired me to at least sign up for Hawaiian Mandala! I haven't started it yet, and probably won't for a while, so i will live vicariously thru you!

Andie said...

Absolutly gorgeous!!

Sherry said...

Wow! This is just beautiful!

stitcherw said...

It's looking gorgeous. I totally agree on the Q snaps, they are so much nicer to use than scroll frames with their lighter weight. I have a large project for my DD on scrolls, and since I need to use my stand to support the weight it rarely gets worked on. Much more convienent to pick up another one of my projects. Loved year earlier finish of Hare, very cute.
Sue

Jennifer said...

This piece is just so gorgeous! I love when you post updates

Ruth said...

WOW!!!! It's absolutely beautiful, Kathryn. Absolutely beautiful. And you should keep going... just shy of the point when the piece annoys you. :)

Sharon said...

Looks fab!

Pumpkin said...

Congratulations for just getting through those eyelets! Eeeek!

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

Part 1 is beautiful and could be framed as is without any additions!

I'm really enjoying watching you stitch this project.

Cynthia
Windy Meadow