Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Christmas Comes Early

The Christmas Ornament Stitch-A-Long doesn't start until this weekend, but since I started these on the flights to and from Maui, I think I will continue with them until we have to leave for Europe or I get bored with them. After all they are on my 2008 Goals list. I have now finished four of the six ornaments. All of them are cross stitched. Now comes the backstitching (and French knots). You can see the cow and the unbackstitched reindeer here.

There is a lot more backstitching on this ornament than was on the reindeer. But since so much of it is outlining, it is relaxing as I don't have to check the chart after every stitch. I will still have to cut them out and fasten the pieces together with wire, but all the extra bits came in each kit. Maybe I will cut one out this weekend just to see how long it will take. Finally they will become the Christmas presents to my in-laws I had planned over a decade ago.

My husband is flying to San Diego this weekend for a science fiction convention (Conjecture). I've been to every previous one, but I simply don't want to take the time when there is so much to do before we leave for Europe. My husband can just pack his tux, some t-shirts and be done. I'm still matching up formal dresses, shoes, bags, and jewelry. I have a board meeting in Los Angeles next weekend. I still haven't decided if I will try to go or not. There are no direct flights to Burbank from Las Vegas (LAS to DEN to BUR? No, never, not happening.) I don't know if I want to fight the hassles of LAX, then the 405. I usually just drive, but again I don't want to take the time for the four hour drive (one way) and the overnight stay. I will probably wimp out and just stay home. And I have plenty of stitching to keep me company.

6 comments:

Barbeeque4 said...

Those are both super cute ornie's!!!

Teejay said...

Please let me know if you received the chart that you bought from me; "come tarry", thanks.

Ruth said...

Men. It's not fair how easily they pack. But then, I'm not sure how much sympathy you're going to get from me with you facing this totally amazing trip. ;-)

If you make the board trip via LAX, I'll wave at you as you pass my office.

Love the ornies! I have some of those several-year ornies too. Wanna finish mine?

Lelia said...

Delightful ornaments!!

Meari said...

Those tags are adorable!

Pumpkin said...

Those are adorable :o) I love stitching ornaments like that when I travel. The perfect size and the perfect level of difficulty. LOL!