Monday, September 1, 2008

The Good and the BAD

I am glad to be working on this cheerful piece again. It's so much easier to be stitching whole stitches over 27 count than quarter stitches over 32 count. But the further that I get trying to stitch this, the more I find wrong with this chart. The "updated" chart I was sent has only one change (clearing up the confusion about the Z and z) and no changes where the thread called for is obviously wrong.

If you look at the right side you will see the start of four trees. I love how the model has several different shades of green. BUT, the chart calls for the two trees in the middle both to be stitched with Anchor 260 (Laurel Green Light), the lightest color on the right side. In fact the chart shows that all of the trees in the middle right are Laurel Green Light, rather than only the middle middle tree. I have started stitching the top middle right tree with Anchor 215 (Misty Green Light) which is shown in the model. In fact, the more I look at the chart, I find Laurel Green Light everywhere, including on the bushes below the tree on the far left. And this is SO wrong because there are several flower stalks in Anchor 301 (Burnt Orange Very Light) in the middle of that bush. If I actually used 260 there you would not be able to see the flowers there because the contrast with the darker green bush would be missing.

You know where this is going, right? Yes, the kit contains only one strand of Anchor 215 (Misty Green Light) and five strands of Anchor 260 (Laurel Green Light) rather than the other way around. So I am going to run out of 215. I don't own any Anchor threads and I don't know where to get any quickly, so I hope that DMC 320 (Pistachio Medium) is close enough to be a good substitute for 215. And of course, there are other mistakes, like a lot of gray shadows (Anchor 233, Shell Grey Dark) along the edges of roofs even though they are not on the model. At least the roofs are mottled enough that if I run out of oranges and browns I can probably substitute without much of a problem.

Michael Powell Designs does have a forum. I posted my confusion with the chart there and was sent an "updated" chart, but I will return and express my deep disappointment with the complete lack of concurrence between the chart and the model. I have several other Michael Powell kits. I hope that the rest of them bear a greater resemblance to the model than this one does.

5 comments:

Teejay said...

I find a similar problem with charts and kits that use specialty or silk threads with a dmc conversion (though I can't blame the designer since their model is stitched with the specialty threads called for). When I pull the dmc conversion threads, some are not even close to the model and I have to do some work to pick my own colors. I have noticed that most specialty threads , even the silk ones are not all that special to me, they don't impress me and seem like it is just a way to increase the price of a kit. I have recently ordered (still waiting on though) the dmc color card (8.99 at 123) and I think this is going to be a tremendous tool for me as I really do enjoy using the dmc. Right now I am stitching a SB kit that I just had the chart not the threads and have converted it beautifully to dmc (I am glad that I didn't buy the kit because they charge $60; I would guess because of the specialty and silk threads that they include BUT they instruct you to stitch everything with 1 thread over 2, well that just sounds like we're being ripped off). Sorry I wrote a novel here.

Chiasmata said...

I'm sorry to hear the MP kit continues to frustrate. I think you've got the right idea of hanging the included threads and grabbing some DMC alternatives.

Stunning work on Hawaiian Mandala in your last post too. With the pineapple there I can finally see how the centre is waves and not feathers.

Ruth said...

I can get you Anchor if you want it. I'd get it sometime this week and mail it out to you. I don't know if that's fast enough.

debijeanm said...

Frustration, thy name is...

So sorry you have to struggle with this. It's supposed to be relaxing!

regwells said...

I’m a bit shocked at all the problems you have been having with the MP kits. I have stitched several and certainly had no problems with the earlier kits. This looks to be an issue with some of the newer kits as a bought a new one recently and had problems with the symbols used being too similar. You have to really concentrate to make sure that you are stitching the right colour. I’m not surprised that your posts are being deleted from the Yahoo site. That seems to be very much a good news site and I suspect they don’t like people rocking the boat.