Friday, September 19, 2008

Moving On

I think I have had enough of Cottage Garden I. I generally don't like large blocks of the same color stitching, but after so much con- centration on the different changes I was making on this design, I actually enjoyed stitching some peaceful blocks of blue sky and cream hills. Then I plunged back into the many oranges and browns of the two more roofs.

I was wondering why I hadn't gotten any messages from my last post on the Michael Powell Yahoo Group. Well, I found out why. My last message was DELETED. So last night I posted that unflattering messages on this group would be deleted (knowing that my post would be sent to those getting email messages). And sure enough, all my messages have now been deleted and furthermore I have been banned from the group. Companies that have this head-in-the-sand, we-are-right-you-are-wrong attitude have serious problems understanding the nature of the internet. Yes, they can sell defective products to unsuspecting customers, but sooner or later their documented sins will catch up to them. (Just ask Electronic Arts how many people will buy their new game Spore from Amazon with 2,000 negative reviews.) With all the wonderful kits and charts out there, I strongly recommend that NO ONE buy any charts from Michael Powell. This is a real shame as they are lovely designs. But as long as they are defective and the people involved refuse to acknowledge the problems (also seen by regwells), then as much as I would like to stitch some of the Spanish scenes, I simply won't. And after patiently waiting for some explanation, I will be very, very vocal about the poor treatment that I have received.

So I am going to put Cottage Garden I away for a while. I'm not going to take it to Europe, so it might not get finished this year although finishing a Michael Powell design was one of my main 2008 goals. Instead I am stitching Bothy's Cut-Thru Rocket for this weekend's Stitch-A-Long. I won't be able to spend all weekend stitching this, as I am still working on learning Dreamweaver. But I am aiming to get the next level of the nosecone done.

I leave you with two photos I took yesterday evening. The first couple of days here on Maui were filled with vog (volcanic fog). There are usually enough tradewinds to blow it away, but sometimes in September the tradewinds die and hot and sticky weather sets in. I wanted to take a picture of the vog, but you would have said I just forgot to take the lens caps off my camera. There is really nothing to see. Finally we are getting some breezes and so we can even see Molokai; here seen behind the palms we are growing for our agricultural allotment.

This is the view of the West Maui mountains behind our house. They are often wreathed in clouds, so you can't always see their peaks. I hope everyone has a restful or productive weekend.

12 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I always thought the Powell kits were ridiculously overpriced. It seems we'd both be satisfied if we could just get charts. Too bad.

Teejay said...

I hope the word gets out so that you can grab the attention of the designer and hopefully, eventually they will do something about it.

Kendra said...

How mature of them to ban you. That seems to be a popular MO anymore - if you ask questions/voice negative opinions on someone/something, the PTB decide you must be terminated/decimated/deleted.

I have no experience with Michael Powell stuff, but I will store this info in my brain and will pass it along if I come across anyone interested in one of those designs.

Miss 376 said...

I hate it when you get unsatisfactory customer service! Hope you get a good stitching weekend

Arthemise said...

Wow, that's incredibly immature of them. I'd post my dissatisfaction everywhere else so people know what's going on.

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed stitching Michael Powell designs and have no problems with the charts or threads provided in their kits - guess you have just had a bad experience which is a shame as they really do have a unique look.

Alison in the UK.

stitcherw said...

I don't understand how some can act like that either. The internet has made the world a smaller place, and stitchers expecially pass around reviews. With that, and all the different designs we have to choose from, you'd think they would want to make things right. Hopefully you can take a break and then find enjoyment in working on it again, they are neat patterns. I loved the picture you posted of Three Gables in your previous post. I hadn't seen that design before, what a fun piece. I can see why you'd want to work on it. Loved your pictures of Maui, it looks like it's gorgeous there.
Sue

Jennifer said...

I guess if Stitching Bits and Bobs can stay in business with the negative reviews she's gotten, anything is possible. :-) Sucks that your messages were deleted and you were banned from the group, but that seems to be the case more and more often. Companies don't care to correct the issues - they just try to shut up the noisemakers.

Lovely photos, though!

regwells said...

I agree that the MP designs while nice are hideously expensive. It is actually cheaper to get them through a 3rd party site than directly from the designer, work that one out? For that sort of money you would think they would make sure that the chart photos match the final design (as they are claiming on the web site about your complaint that the photo does not properly match the actual design). While acceptable in cheaper kits or magazines it’s a bit much when you have paid £20-£30+. I hope you have better luck with the cut-through. I stitched the cut-through light house last year and really enjoyed it.

Chiasmata said...

I'm sorry to hear the MP kit continues to frustrate you. There's no cause for the yahoo group to treat you like that. Releasing a poor product and then deleting criticisms is no way to run a business.

To be fair, Spore's negative reviews on Amazon are from people complaining about the Big Brother-esque security features of the game, not the actual content of the game. Admittedly, Spore is nowhere near as awesome as we were led to believe, but it's still a passable game and (thankfully) doesn't have the multitude of catastrophic bugs The Sims had had for years.

Anonymous said...

For that sort of money you would think they would make sure that the chart photos match the final design
I had this problem with one of the xmas mini windows. Photo and the chart didn't match. Stupid mistake, too stupid to understand.

Meari said...

Very pretty landscape photos, Kathryn. It's so pathetic that they banned you from the MP group.